Noob 4 stroke question

GoldenMotor.com

roka

Oct 9, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Hello all,

I'm brand new to motorized bicycles and am planning my 1st build. At first I thought I'd got with a 2 stroke because of the price just in case it didn't work out. Now I'm thinking I'd like the advantages of a 4 stroke. But I notice that the smallest 4 stroke engines available are 49cc. According to what I've been reading the largest engine for a "motorized gas powered bicycle" here in Arizona is 48cc. Here's the law. I know, I know... but I'm too old and poor to worry about getting ticketed for 1 lousy cc. Any suggestions, advise, etc? Thanks in advance!

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Welcome!

I did the same thing as you and bought a 2 stroke kit because it was cheaper but i learned that you get what you pay for so i sold the engine, saved up some more money and bought a Huasheng 49cc 4 stroke kit. I have put over 500 miles on it and have done nothing other than 2 oil changes and adjust the chain tension. I reccommend you buy a 4 stroke kit they cost $375 Plus shipping.

As for the laws i live in Socal so the laws arent the same but im seventeen years old and have passed 2 police cars without being questioned. You must wear a DOT helmet though... Invest in a bike lock as well i hate hearing about new builds being stolen.
4 stroke kit can be bought from EZCRUIZER.COM

Good luck!

Chad

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's a number of 4 strokes at less than 49cc, Honda and Robin for a start, as well as some Chinese copies. Look up GXH25, GXH35 Hondas as an example.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
remove all the stickers :)
if asked, just answer 48cc, thats what I do (^)
it is very hard to measure the displacement due to the integrated head/cylinder design

BTW, welcome from FH, just up the beeline from you ;)
if you can make it over to my place, I am always happy to give test rides of my 4cycle stretch cruiser :)