motor chain slips off sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

c2k5

Jun 24, 2012
Texas
The chain that attatches to the motor keeps slipping off the motor when I pedal and locks the rear wheel up. I have a tensioner on the chain to keep it tight. Here is a pic of what it does.
what can i do to fix this.

Last edited:

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
try soaking the chain in oil to make it move easier if that dosent work you may need a different chain if you are useing the kit chain some of them are poorly made and have tight spots in them

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First thing, get the rubber out of your engine mounts. That isn't helping anything and can contribute to your problems.

Second where do you have the tensioner mounted and how tight are you keeping the chain. You'll want 1/2 to 3/4" of slack. More or less can cause chain problems.

Chain alignment and tension is critical. Roller chains must ride straight and true between sprockets with absolutely no lateral misalignment.

You might also check the teeth of the engine drive sprocket and see if there are rough spots on the ends that engage the chain. We always suggest to smooth the teeth of both the drive and driven sprocket to make chain engagement smoother.

A photo of the installed chain/tensioner/rear wheel might help us give more suggestions.

Tom