gas tank mounting question?

GoldenMotor.com

eternal travler

Jul 13, 2012
USA
I used a 10 speed frame for my bike project. If I mount the tank on the top frame tube it will only be about 1.5" above the engine. Will this be enough clearance or will the gas tank overheat And blow up in my face?

I plan on riding the bike for extended periods like six to eight hours a day with short stops to get the blood circulating back into my legs and backside.

The only other place I can put the tank would be on the rear rack.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mount it to the top bar and don't worry about explosions. Even if it touched the engine you're not talking about enough heat.
The air gap, in your case, 1.5 inches is totally sufficient to insulate the tank/fuel from engine heat.
Enjoy your bike.

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yup.

Just don't fill the tank up all the way or the gas will spew out of the cap like a river onto the hot motor and you will go up in a ball of flame.

Not kidding, don't let the gas touch the bottom of the cap.

eternal travler

Jul 13, 2012
USA
I mounted the tank and the shut off valve is just behind the muffler housing, the fuel line is laying against the spark plug boot on top of the valve cover and if I go up in a blaze of glory I'm going to haunt you two guy's the rest of your lives!!!!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Carry a fire extinguisher and wear Nomex. You'll be fine :)

Seriously, I would try to relocate that fuel line. There's no reason it can't be moved so it isn't touching the plug boot. The kit supplied boots, if that's what you're using, are notorious for bad connections and arcing. No use tempting fate.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom

eternal travler

Jul 13, 2012
USA
Ok here's what I did. I cut a piece of 1.5"PVC pipe into thirds lengthwise about 8" long and taped four pieces to the top frame tube with electrical tape. Then bolted the tank on top of the PVC sections but I had to make longer straps to go under the tank.

This raised the tank a good inch higher. I bought 1/4" chemical injector line for a power washer to use as a new fuel line because I can't find fuel line anywhere around here And I even went to two small engine repair shops, got the line from Tractor Supply store.

The line is taped to the frame tube, its about 1/2"above the valve cover and at least a inch away from the spark plug. I also put a inline fuel filter on the fuel line, the repair shop had the filter but not the fuel line to go with it. Can you beleve this crap. I spent 4.5 hours today running around tring to find this stuff.

Well its starting to rain now that the bike is finally done so I'll have to wait untill tomorrow for the maiden voyage, this damn thing better run or I'm going take a big hammer to.