my bike keeps stopping (like its running out of gas)

GoldenMotor.com

betacrash

Jun 8, 2010
Cincinnati
well, its happened since i first put it together last week. i drive it my little subdivision street and maybe back again then my engine will just die down and the only reason that it is running is because the wheels are forcing it. if i pull my clutch the engine is totally dead. then i can wait for a minute or so and it will start up again. i just wanted some input before i go crazy tomorrow taking everything apart. FYI i have loosened up the gas cap while riding just to make sure it was not due to a vacuum of some sort. I have a fuel filter on it like this one

Aluminum Fuel Filter Quad ATV Dirt Super Pocket Bike: eBay Motors (item 150470589092 end time Aug-01-10 01:25:37 PDT)

i have it installed with the comical part closer to the carb. any help would be great.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Pull the float bowl off and check for dirt. That's a purdy looking filter but did you open it up and make sure there's actually a filter element inside?

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
What fuel ratio are you running? Does your kill switch work? Maybe the kill switch is faulty ans there is a wire loose. Totally bybass the switch and see how it runs. I had that problem with my bike... Would start then die....finally tracked it to the kill switch button...wire was loose and making connection sometimes and kill the engine.

Hope this helps.. Derks

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You are running out of gas for some reason. Confirm fuel flow through the filter, then take off the float bowl and turn the gas on to see if it is flowing freely into your float chamber. Next, check to see if the main jet has loosened.

Let us know what you find.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If it is a peanut tank there could be crud at the outlet. You might try disconnecting your fuel line at the filter to see if the gas is flowing well to it. If not you will need to drain the tank and remove the crud. Also check to see it if is flowing well on the other side of the filter. If it flows in, but comes out restricted then it is bogging down in the filter and you'll need to clean it. Also what the other guys said. I had thought at first it sounded like a vacumn problem, but if it does it with the cap loose, then that isn't it. You'll find it!
SB

betacrash

Jun 8, 2010
Cincinnati
Well, it turns out that it was the fancy dancy fuel filter. It doesn't flow for . I disconnected it from the carb and let the gas flow and i got about a drip every 5-10 seconds. I even flipped it around to see if it would be better, no go. switched to the little crappy one that comes with the kit and it is working like a charm. Thanks for all of the info guys.

Last edited by a moderator: