Custom exhaust. Material help

GoldenMotor.com

Tron1221

Feb 23, 2010
St. Louis
Trying to figure out what type of piping I need to build an exhaust system.
Will electrical conduit work?
I do have a welder – though I have never used it yet  Seems like as good a project as any to learn on!!

Thanks!

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Hi Tron,
I used 3/4 inch electrical conduit for the exhaust on a Schwinn OCC. Works fine. I cut off the mountin g flange from an old exhaust pipe and welded it to the conduit. Then I used high temp paint so you can't tell it is conduit
Jim

I do have a welder – though I have never used it yet  Seems like as good a project as any to learn on!!

Thanks!

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock

Thanks!
Tried conduit and it works O.K., actually bicycle handle bars seem to be stronger. We've cut sections from different handle bars to mock up our special bends and added expansion chambers in line. Mark with a felt tip sharpy on where we've adjusted the pieces exactly right- and tack weld them together. Then put entire pipe on a table and complete the welds..weld

Tron1221

Feb 23, 2010
St. Louis
Hi Tron,
I used 3/4 inch electrical conduit for the exhaust on a Schwinn OCC. Works fine. I cut off the mountin g flange from an old exhaust pipe and welded it to the conduit. Then I used high temp paint so you can't tell it is conduit
Jim
This is exactly what I was thinking of trying!! Glad it worked out. I have the stock pipe on the OCC now and my son is riding around with it, but it really just doesn't fit. I am waiting to bust off a stud.

Thanks for the input!!

Tron1221

Feb 23, 2010
St. Louis
How do u make that Squar in your sentence"I have never used it yet.":confused:
Didn't mean to. LOL
Out of habit, I made a smiley face out of a colon : and a close parenthesis ) . When I put them together ( :) ) it turned into the box after I posted it.
I saw the icons at the bottom after posting... I will figure things out.. eventually.

-Tron

Tron1221

Feb 23, 2010
St. Louis
Didn't mean to. LOL
Out of habit, I made a smiley face out of a colon : and a close parenthesis ) . When I put them together ( :) ) it turned into the box after I posted it.
I saw the icons at the bottom after posting... I will figure things out.. eventually.

-Tron
Weird, that time it turned into a smiley face... hmmmm :)

Tron1221

Feb 23, 2010
St. Louis
Tried conduit and it works O.K., actually bicycle handle bars seem to be stronger. We've cut sections from different handle bars to mock up our special bends and added expansion chambers in line. Mark with a felt tip sharpy on where we've adjusted the pieces exactly right- and tack weld them together. Then put entire pipe on a table and complete the welds..weld
I can see where handle bars would work well. They are very strong. But, I don't have extra handle bars sitting around and I figured the electrical conduit would be relatively inexpensive. Also, I ficured I could use a pipe bender and shape the conduit and do less welding.
I do think the handle bar idea would produce a stronger and longer lasting solution though!!
Thanks for the suggestion!

-Tron

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Use caution when welding EMT (conduit) It is typically galvanized and you want to avoid breathing the fumes. Weld only in a well ventilated area, preferably with a fan blowing the smoke away from your face. You didn't say what kind of welder you have but conduit is thin material and it will burn through easily unless you do small spot welds, connecting them as the metal cools. TIG works very well on conduit but I realize most people don't have access to TIG. MIG, wire feed, will do it nicely too, just go slow, use a low heat setting. I've never tried stick welding the stuff; looks like a challenge and would make for ugly welds.

Tom

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Hey Russel, is that a mechanical speedometer on that chopper? If so, how long has it lasted? I just got one and am a little curious what to expect.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Hey Russel, is that a mechanical speedometer on that chopper? If so, how long has it lasted? I just got one and am a little curious what to expect.
One full season and now on second season. Took some modification to get it right. If you are thinking about one I reccomend you buy a Wizzer chrome model, $50 much better in all ways.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Thanks for the info. I did just get one of the plastic speed'o'meters from amazon for a bout $15. I thought I searched everywhere for something better and couldn't find it. You posted that and I found it after 1 search. I didn't even think about searching for whizzer parts.