Float Bowl leaking gas around seal...

GoldenMotor.com

vwine

Jan 27, 2010
germany
I have a stock 50 cc engine with the stock carburetor.
I've been riding it for 2 days now.. runs awesome, So i think..
It tops out at about 25 mph.. going up a huge .4 mile hill
near my house it was going about 15 mph without peddaling.

ANYHOO!! my issue is... the bowl at the bottom of the car is leaking around the seal.
about 1 drop every 5 minutes or so will build up.. nothing Super serious.. but smells like gas,
and wife hates when i bring it inside the house to work on it, cause of the smell of gas (the leak)

I have NEVER taken the carb apart.. I know very little about carbs (been researching on this site and learned a few things) And have never adjusted the needle.
I FOUND NORMANS THREAD ABOUT DISSASEMBLY SO IT WILL HELP ME ALOT AFTER I GET ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO.

If this has already been answered on a thread, I appologize. I looked but found nothing.
Thanks in advance.. VW.shft.

Last edited:

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
open up the bottom metal piece, (2 screws on the carb.) and check the bottom piece. check the float for holes. also, on the upper half of the metal piece, there is a "C" shaped metal. There is a pin that keeps it in place, and check to see if the pin is moved, making the "C" clip out of place.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you checked to see if the float bowl screws are tight? Is the fuel leaking from the gasket on the bowl or coming from somewhere else. If the float is not shutting off the fuel by way of the needle and seat then it might be coming from several places and running down the side of the carburetor. Check the bowl screws first. If they're tight you can move on to checking the plastic float which have been known to leak, filling with fuel and letting the needle valve stay open. Dirt in the needle valve will cause this too. That will cause flooding and leaking. Check these things and get back to us. Also, a little oily fuel dripping from the air cleaner element is normal. It should be more oil that gasoline but it will smell.
Tom