Bike won't start after rattle

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I am having issues with my bike skidding after releasing the clutch at about 10mph,it was running great 5 minutes before trying to start it up.When I went to start it up for the second time,a strange rattling noise came from the drive side gear.

I removed the clutch cover all seems fine there.

Next I took the spark plug out with the clutch disengaged the bike would not move at all..

While I move my bike forward,there is a knocking noise from the drive side gear.

I have a over 1000 miles on the bike.There is no gear play all seems normal.I greased the shaft pin as there was hardly any grease inside.

I removed the baffle from the exhaust about a month ago it has been running great since.I noticed after hearing the loud "rattle" noise from the gear side,a good amount of oil shot from the exhaust onto my frames lower bar...

Please ideas,suggestions would be great.My MB is my only transportation I need to get it running!

Thank you

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Are you sure that a woodruff key hasn't sheared on either the clutch hub or the engine's pinion gear? If either shaft nut has come loose, that could easily cause a key to shear and you will not have a good mechanical drive connection between the engine and clutch. You may also want to check out the engine's sprocket for the same problems.
They are all held in place with nuts and tiny woodruff keys inbetween the gear (sprocket) and shaft. Check out Norm's help section if I seem a bit confusing. He is outstanding at conveying what I sometimes stumble on describing, not to mention he is an MB Guru.

Last edited:

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Are you sure that a woodruff key hasn't sheared on either the clutch hub or the engine's pinion gear? If either shaft nut has come loose, that could easily cause a key to shear and you will not have a good mechanical drive connection between the engine and clutch. You may also want to check out the engine's sprocket for the same problems.
They are all held in place with nuts and tiny woodruff keys inbetween the gear (sprocket) and shaft. Check out Norm's help section if I seem a bit confusing. He is outstanding at conveying what I sometimes stumble on describing, not to mention he is an MB Guru.
I greased the woodruff key and it seems fine (to my standards).I'm not quite sure to be truthful.Drive side gear (engine sprocket) seems to be loose and is making a knocking noise when I move the bike forward but has no unusual play at all.I understand you completely,Thanks man.I haven't checked much else other than taking off the clutch plate and spark plug,I am getting no spark either.Hopefully I can avoid tearing the engine apart..I need all the help I can get here! Thanks

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Maybe something crazy happed, like you lost the C clip that hold the wrist pin centered or a main bearing went out?

The bike rolls with the clutch pulled?
Will the piston move up & down at all... even a tiny bit?

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Yes the bike rolls freely with the clutch pulled

With spark plug out clutch disengaged the bike will not move even with force

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
BTW, dis-engaged means that the engine is not connected to the drive chain, ie: dis-connected. (clutch lever squeezed in). Confusing terminology. I am just trying to follow you accurately. :) Trying to help.
With the clutch disengaged the bicycle should roll around easily.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It sounds bad... :(
If you can't find a problem inside the right side cover; start looking for the problems & mentioned above.

Check around the magneto too... you never know??

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Ah yes I pulled the head off and could tell the piston has been knocking against the side walls..piston is not moving either.Probably needs replaced I can't afford to replace the parts so if anyone wants the whole kit or just the motor make me a offer.Thanks guys

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Aw darn! It sounds like the small end (piston end) bearing on the connecting rod is the needle bearing type, and it has lost it's needles. That sucks!
If I had any disposable cash, I would buy it from you for spare parts.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
That's what I am thinking the rod and all will just need replaced,witch I can't afford to do.I put the motor & parts up for a flat $50+shipping in the swap n shop! Thanks Gear.