Pondering on a belt driven HT bicycle engine conversion...

GoldenMotor.com

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Has anybody tried a belt driven conversion for an HT?

Why belt driven HT?
1) Less noise and vibration.
2) Chain tensioner would lasts longer.
3) Less strain on the spokes.
4) Rear disc brakes can be installed without oil/grease getting into the pads.
5) It's a simple conversion, I think.
6) Easier to replace and less messy.

Although, I think belt drive is quite sensitive on alignment, but if that would be the only issue. I think it would be worth it... :D

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Re: Pondering on a belt driven HT conversion...

I considered it, i only would need 2 pulleys and a belt. but you would have to get a small pulley to fit in the chain cover. I have a centrifugal clutch as well as my manual and i could take off my chain cover and not use my manual clutch but i still like to use the manual one when pull starting my bike. You could keep the small chain sprocket and run a short chain to a small belt pulley then to a belt pulley on the wheel,but that would be a chain and belt and i think that would be more than i want to do. I would like just a belt pulley system. But i did finaly get my chain lined up real good and it doesnt make too much noise and theres no oil coming off of it. If you want to use belt pulleys i would guess you would get ones that are the same size as the chain sprockets,they do sell them and there not cheap,belts come in many diffrent lengths. And you would have to find how to mount the small belt pulley in place of the small chain pulley on the engine.
I know theres a key that holds it on and it would have to have the same size center hole as the engine shaft. I have measurements wrote down somewhere if i can find them.

I don't believe the belt would be as senstive as a chain with alignment,but others will diasagree with me. For now i will use my chain and sprockets,since i don't have the money to expierment wih pulleys and belts.

Last edited: