Painted motor, sprocket ready

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Painted the slant 50 annodized blue and glittered- hope the darn thing runs!

The 34 sprocket I got cheap on ebay is drilled and ground, and ready to bolt directly to the large flange of the Schwinn Traveller. The weight savings is quite a bit.

A word of caution for ligtweight builders. In focusing on my own sprocket design, I failed to note that a NORMAL SPROCKET AND RUBBER CONNECTION WILL NOT WORK on an old style Schwinn high flange hub. Not to worry, I have another small flange alloy back wheel if the custom sprock proves inadequate or too much for the motor. The kit's 41 would fit on that.

A few little spacers needed and it's all ready to assemble- about another hour or two work.
.santa Ho Ho Ho!

Attachments

Hot Wheels

Jul 7, 2009
chicago
i highly recommend cleaning the threads off the studs and also any place that a gasket will go.

i want to paint my motor, but i think i'm gonna install it and break it in first.
I WOULD PAINT IT FIRST, YOU'LL GET DIRT AND OIL ON IT AND THE PAINT MIGHT NOT ADD-HEAR THE WAY YOU WANT.usflg

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Just a couple of swells. If it breaks down, I can tap them and just keep saying, "there's no place like home, there's no place like home"

I like glitter and use it quite a bit- I had silver on my white walls and it looked liked Ice Castles. But usually you have to use the same color you're painting with, or else it looks like the thing needs a shave.
And it needs a good clearcoat to stay on.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Guess you've never been to the Indy 500 or seen a NASCAR race.. Although metallic colors are kind of a '60's thing, largely brought to the bicycleworld by Schwinn, they really don't have much of a connection with 60's counter-culture.

I've painted a lot of things metallic blue, including an entire Fiat 850 Spyder convertible.

The glitter is more recent and just punches it up. I bought the can of "annodized "paint that I used (which is a bit darker than real annodized aluminum) at a local clearing house last spring for $1.50,

and I debated whether to paint the motor the same red as the bike, leave it silver base color and glitter that, or use the blue. sorta wished I just glittered the silver, as the tank and extended exhaust pipe are chrome.

oh well. God bless america, as long as it deserves it.

.flg.

Me, Spring 1968

Attachments

Last edited: