A movie that you endourse

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
"Grand Prix"- When I was just 13 I won a bus trip to Detroit on my paperoute for selling subscriptions. One of my best friends also qualified. Part of the package was a screening of the newly released "Grand Prix" movie in Cinerama.

as I was from Indianapolis and into mini-bikes and go carts, my ambition was already to race Formula One, and the come back home to win the Indianapolis 500 as well. So after a trip to the Ford factory that day, there I was sitting in a theatre full of junior high aged paperboys, who went berserk when the opening theme came on. Unforgetable.

In another month or two, Bobby Unser won the 1968 Indy 500 in a turbocharged eagle offy, when for the second straight year, one of Andy Granetelli's STP turbine cars broke broke down while leading the race. (In fact two of them, Joe Leonard's and Art Pollard's). THe race itself was also being filmed and was then the basis for the movie "Winning" with Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, and Robert Wagner.

I now have the movie on a two DVD set of "Grand Prix", with a lot of extra stuff about F 1 racing. Most people here would probably enjoy it.