Sparkless Newbie

GoldenMotor.com

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
Hey all,

Ive only been on this site for only a day, but Ive already learned so much. Thank god I stumbled across this community.

Anyway, I have an 80cc kit that I bought from BoyGoFast over a year ago and have not had any sustained success with at all. I understand that this is not such an uncommon problem with this particular brand.

Ive read the first thing to check is fuel delivery and then from there on to spark, and what great advice that was because the problem turned out to be no spark. Do you all have any suggestions on the best way to ground the plug while testing it? I want to be positive this is the problem and not that I have tested incorrectly.

Ive learned from my reading here that the most common cause for no spark is a shot magneto. I tested my CDI and it read 348 ohms, the ideal number as Ive read. Does this mean that the CDI unit is definitely not the problem?

If it is the magneto, I was hoping that someone would be willing to sell me one or two as I might want an extra if the blow as common as it sounds. I am in Gainesville Florida if someone close by can help.

Thank you all for reading and any help you may be able to offer.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The way that I test for spark, is to take out the spark plug, & then plug the wire/boot back onto it. Then touch the base of the plug to the engine head (to ground it).
Next, lift the rear wheel of the ground & have someone spin it fast & look for a spark!

Also, take off the side cover & look to see if any of the wires came loose? & make sure the white wire isn't grounding out.

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
Looks like I diagnosed prematurely, as I played around some more and saw spark.

So now that Ive got fuel and spark, what else could be wrong? Mixture (air/fuel or fuel/oil)? Possibly an air leak? Im going to try using teflon tape to seal the carb to the intake and see how that helps...

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Try moving the choke lever about 3/4 of the way up before you start it.
Make sure the plug is dry!
Pedal as fast as you can, pop the clutch & keep pedalling!!! (it'll start!!)

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
I didnt notice if the plug was wet or dry when I took it out. What would a wet plug signify? The gas to oil is 20:1 as recommended for 80cc break in.

I just took my bike down a huge hill and all I got was a kick every second or two. Nothing consistent. Id like to find an easier way to test start... peddling back up a hill on a lowrider is more annoying than this lack of start itself.