How many teeth do you have...

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
...on your rear sprocket? I'm about to place an order for a rear hub adapter and sprocket from the manic mechanic and need some help ordering the appropriate sprocket. I'm running a 26 inch wheel with an 80cc engine. While I'd like to be able to reach 30 without blowing the motor, I cruise mostly at 20-25 mph. I have some hills to climb, but no mountains. I weigh about 200 lbs. What do you think?
Silverbear

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
36T 66cc 26" MTB and 200lbs works fine. I pedal assist up hills but still move at 20mph. On the flats 25-30mph is a real nice RPM. Ive had it at 35mph but don't see the need for anything faster.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
SB...I used a 40 tooth when running a 66cc with 26" tires(145lbs)...
I know you use a trailer, and I never had any problem pulling mine with a load of grandkids up the hills here (some seriously steep and long ones)
hope that helps :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Stock 44t w/26" here... I've thought a lot about changing it but tbh I really like it's acceleration and 33mph sustained isn't bad. It could be a touch lower in rpm so maybe Bill's 40t would be about perfect.

I figured I'd just hold out till I can get a shiftkit if I'm gonna change anything, if that doesn't work out I'll either stay a 44t or go with a 40t - 36 seems like an awful big jump when it's almost perfect anyway. Oh, and I never pedal 'cept to start it and we have a LOT of hills around here, I've only minor mods and an SBP exhaust.

O'course I'm 190lbs if ya wanna be picky, but then my bike is aluminum... but I carry a ton of tools an crap...

Dangit - we prolly weigh the same lol

Last edited:

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
38 tooth, im probably the only one with that number, but its great, i weigh 175 and haven't had to peddle up any hills, i like in nh and we have some mountains. no baffle in exhaust, slightly ported engine, stock carb with huge air filter. i can go 36 on flat and 30 up most hill. im very happy

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I run the stock 44's on all my bikes. (It's actually a very well thought out gear ratio!)
When I get some sprocket adapters from Jim, I think I'm going with 40s to get a little more top end, & still keep most of the torque.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I run the stock 44's on all my bikes. (It's actually a very well thought out gear ratio!)
When I get some sprocket adapters from Jim, I think I'm going with 40s to get a little more top end, & still keep most of the torque.
I think I'll stick with the 44 as it is what I have on my other bikes and it seems a nice combination of hill climbing capability and goes as fast as I want to go... can top out in the mid thirties and cruise with ease at twenty to twenty five. Thanks to everyone for your input, it has helped me think this through. Now it's time to make a call and get that adapter and sprocket ordered!
Silverbear

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
id go with a 36 tooth and a tuned exhaust....go with the smallest one you can...just go for more low end out of the motor
I have already ordered the adapter and the sprocket in 44 tooth configuration, but thanks for your advise. If I wish in the future to try the 36 tooth I can order one and it will be a simple matter of switching it over, unlike with the rag joint of old.
Silverbear

Ari Kohain

Sep 16, 2009
Everett,Washington
I am running the stock 44 on a 26in wheel. Have had 36, 40, and a 50 on but went back to 44. I have found them to be the best for all purpose use. I weigh in at 160 plus I usually pull a trailer with my dachshun dog and about 60 to 100lbs of gear.

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
i have a 41t sprocket, the machine shop put in the wrong number, it was supposed to be a batch of 44's :D i was so excited as it's impossible to walk into a shop here in sudtralia and find a smaller sprocket for these.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Silverbear,

As luck would have it...I have the parts you ordered on the shelf! I will ship them to you Monday.

I hope this doesn't infuriate anyone...it was just the luck of the draw. :D

Jim
Well that's wonderful! This has been a very good week for sure, with lots of things going my way. I finished painting the Worksman a couple days ago and the next day the heavy duty wheels arrived, today I got the new finders on, the worksman seat is mounted... looks like a new Worksman. Plus, the other day I went "shopping" at the dump and found a 1940 Schwinn DX cruiser frame, fork and seat in good condition. I also won a lowball bid on a 1939 Elgin frame, fork and tank, for which I have everything else to make it complete. Now I find out that my sprocket and hub adapter will be here soon. Awesome!
Silverbear