CNS carb?

GoldenMotor.com

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I'll post it anyway. I recently changed my spark plug, and when I pulled out the old one it looked like it had been getting too hot. Lots of carbon fouling, brown film on the electrodes etc. Well, I'm an airplane mechanic, and when I see this in an airplane engine I immediately think "lean mixture". That's fuel-air mixture. Granted airplane engines are quite different than a little Chinese 2 stroke, but the results would be the same. I suspect that I'm getting the lean mixture only at high power because there are times when I'm running wide open and the engine gives a momentary hesitation, almost like I've throttled back for a second. When I saw the plug it dawned on me, I'm not getting the right mixture. So I set out to find a better carb and I came up with this CNS carb at spooky tooth. I went ahead and ordered one from another site who had a slightly lower price. My reason for posting this is to ask: will this carb really give me the kind of control I need to correct the fuel-air mixture? Anyone have any experience with it?

Last edited:

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
A chocolate brown is a good thing,thats what you want.If it was a real light color then you would be running lean,and of course if it was all wet and gummy too rich.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I'll post it anyway. I recently changed my spark plug, and when I pulled out the old one it looked like it had been getting too hot. Lots of carbon fouling, brown film on the electrodes etc. Well, I'm an airplane mechanic, and when I see this in an airplane engine I immediately think "lean mixture". That's fuel-air mixture. Granted airplane engines are quite different than a little Chinese 2 stroke, but the results would be the same. I suspect that I'm getting the lean mixture only at high power because there are times when I'm running wide open and the engine gives a momentary hesitation, almost like I've throttled back for a second. When I saw the plug it dawned on me, I'm not getting the right mixture. So I set out to find a better carb and I came up with this CNS carb at spooky tooth. I went ahead and ordered one from another site who had a slightly lower price. My reason for posting this is to ask: will this carb really give me the kind of control I need to correct the fuel-air mixture? Anyone have any experience with it?
im thinking your airplanes are over fuelled.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
dvddtz: Yep, light brown. So it is running lean as I suspected. My new carb should be here this Wednesday, so that should take care of that.

stv1: ...?

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
My results are OUTSTANDING! I can't say enough good things about this carb. My engine runs smoother at high RPM, more torque at low speeds, more power all around and the engine just sounds better. I've picked up 3 or 4 mph on flat ground and I can now climb hills that were impossible without peddling before. Hill climbing is important because I live on top of a pretty steep hill, a river bluff actually. Oh and the coolest part is that I can take off from a dead stop without peddling now if I feather the clutch just right. My only complaint is that the air filter just barely fit in the frame after some minor modification I'm thinking of making a new intake pipe to position the carb a little higher and forward in order to clear the seat post. Other than that the CNS is a must have IMO.

BTW: I'm running a Skyhawk 48cc with a 48 tooth sprocket on a Schwinn searcher.

Last edited: