Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
That parade of invalid carriages at the beginning of the video is amazing! :D

I wonder what happened to them all.

Zoran, I could not believe those prices on the mobility vehicles you posted :eek:
If I had that kind of money to spend I could build the most fabulous cyclecar/velocar you've ever seen.
------------------------
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Hello Annie,[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]That parade was magnificent, indeed... Where all of them went - probably to junk-yards: no value for successors, no interest between collectors and museums in that time. Some of them were really great machines - would like to have one.
---------------------
In Swiss everything is too expensive, even the same things are more expensive then in the rest of Western Europe. Presenter (could be seen on photo, came with full van of vehicles), said that driving is extremely cheap, in spite that batteries should cost a few thousand $$$ after 3-5 years... I said to him that could buy new Citroen C-1 (have one now, old 5 years) for 12 thousand $$$ and for the rest of money drive it to the end, maybe to pay chauffeur for that, too. Or, to buy original and good veteran cycle-car (for parades) and build quadricycle for cruising around, and make nice small boat for lakes and rivers... Replacement wheels (16", with off-road tyres and drum-brakes), he sells for 250 $$$ each.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]--- ---[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]So, shall we think about one cute sociable? I am still confused a little about its stability at corners, but if people were building and selling it – why not? Probably that it would be more stabile than rickshaw without passenger.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Ciao, [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Zoran[/FONT]

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The last of the invalid carriages were scrapped outright by the government department. They did not even investigate if the engines had any value. They did, being the same Steyr-Puch flat twin fitted to the Haflinger and the Steyr version of the Fiat 500.

One should not call then cretins. Arrogant cretins is so much better.

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Ludwig,
Not of any importance - but what government that was?
I remember that in many period magazines all of invalid 3-wheelers were classified as bad and dangerous vehicles! There were a lot of accidents, as was said... Probably all that could be truth, but people had freedom and independence with such vehicles. If nothing replaced them - people staid hostages in own homes and depend on wheel-chairs. Not quite exiting voyages around?
Ciao,
Zoran

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
P.S.:
Correction - arrogant and ignorant cretins everywhere on power! Must be some kind of revers-Darwin theory of evolution?
My humble experience with own politicians and byrocrats, administration in general, from top to basement!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It was our Department Of Health.

The old Invacars were poor vehicles, and they were replaced with a mobility payment scheme, since it's easier to modify a car's steering and brakes than make an entire disability machine.

I have a friend who is dealing with adoption agencies to sort out the circumstances of his birth, and he will agree absolutely with your opinion of them. Fortunately, one individual he is dealing with is actively working for, not against, him. There appears to be a culture of empire building, setting up boundaries and barriers against others in the organisations, and totally forgetting they are actually employed to serve the public.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

The old Invacars were poor vehicles, and they were replaced with a mobility payment scheme, since it's easier to modify a car's steering and brakes than make an entire disability machine.

I have a friend who is dealing with adoption agencies to sort out the circumstances of his birth, and he will agree absolutely with your opinion of them. Fortunately, one individual he is dealing with is actively working for, not against, him. There appears to be a culture of empire building, setting up boundaries and barriers against others in the organisations, and totally forgetting they are actually employed to serve the public.
We seem to have that sort of thing going on here in the states as well.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand

What annoys me about cars though is that they are awkward for me to get into and out of and the passive seating position soon leads to me feeling like I'm imprisoned with my pain. On top of that the question of having to mess about with parking a great lumpy enclosed vehicle with all manner of blind spots is not on the top of my much loved experiences list. Trying to convert an existing motorcar into a disability vehicle is like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. :(
I find it very interesting too that many folk with disabilities did not want to surrender their faithful old vehicle to the department because they liked them.

My idea of a proper vehicle suitable for folk with a disability.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
You know.....

I've seen some strange vehicles. In person. On this thread. On some of Ludwig IIs threads, etc.

But that Seal is one of the oddest looking contraptions I've ever seen. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

But that thing is just plain weird.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like the Seal, especially the version in the third photo of it... the one with the folding top. I like the concept of the sociable well enough that I'm contemplating an eventual conversion of my "kindalikeawhizzer" build into a sociable using the remains of my donor Grumman canoe for the body with offset tandem seating for two. Once the bike is built there isn't that much involved in building the sidec/sociable frame, mounting the body and modifying the controls.

Anne, I think your rickshaw would make a dandy sociable and be a very practical rig for you that you could enjoy while taking your time with the Delta trike and the Colombe. I hope you do it.
SB

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I like the Seal, especially the version in the third photo of it... the one with the folding top. I like the concept of the sociable well enough that I'm contemplating an eventual conversion of my "kindalikeawhizzer" build into a sociable using the remains of my donor Grumman canoe for the body with offset tandem seating for two. Once the bike is built there isn't that much involved in building the sidec/sociable frame, mounting the body and modifying the controls.

Anne, I think your rickshaw would make a dandy sociable and be a very practical rig for you that you could enjoy while taking your time with the Delta trike and the Colombe. I hope you do it.
SB
I very much agree Silverbear :) I don't want to rush either the Delta trike or the Colombe/Intrepid cyclecar and while my rickshaw does need a good cleanup and maintenance session it's basically complete so would be the best choice to put on the road first. The rickshaw body is very solidly built with a galvanised iron covering over a wooden understructure. The body has a very nice boot/trunk already built in and while the hood bows are a right mess and will need to be completely redone all the important hardware is recoverable.
The hub on the sidecar wheel is a substantial piece of kit with very large bearings so I don't have to worry about that. The sidecar frame itself is in great shape too and will only need a good clean up.
The bike is a Chinese 'Phoenix', but because it's been well used I'm strongly thinking of replacing it with my pre-war gent's Phillips bicycle instead. The Phillips has stronger wheels and rims for a larger section tyre as well as a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub with a huge coaster brake so I think it would be a good choice.
Because I won't have to worry about pedal clearance with the Viliers engine fitting it up in place should be reasonable simple. I'll make up clamp type engine mounts so as not to injure the Phillips's pristine frame.

Come the better weather in your neck of the woods I will be watching out for your own 'sociable conversion Silverbear :)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
From the point of view of access with restricted physical mobility, I'll suggest ignoring ordinary cars and using either a small 4x4, or even a little van like a Daihatsu bread bin type. You sit in a much more upright position with them, and you just rotate off the seat to get out, or on to it to get in.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Hello,
No doubt that regular automobile adapted to needs of persons with restricted psychical mobility is safer and more comfortable vehicle, but also more expensive (except here in Swiss). It is better for voyages and use in cities, in regular busy traffic and fast roads. Some small off-road or kombi is better solution, as Ludwig said...
But, mostly - it is too big, too powerful and unpractical for use on less busy streets and roads, in rural countryside – used on short routes by one person only, what is the most case. Electric powered vehicles could be used INSIDE closed spaces, in café gardens and so on... pedestrian zones in towns are opened for them, sport centres, parks... More friendly and more close to nature. If build by us, according to our needs and likes – excellent solution.
Ciao,
Zoran

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
From the point of view of access with restricted physical mobility, I'll suggest ignoring ordinary cars and using either a small 4x4, or even a little van like a Daihatsu bread bin type. You sit in a much more upright position with them, and you just rotate off the seat to get out, or on to it to get in.
You are quite right Ludwig, only my problem is that such vehicles are outside of my budget. The other problem is that there is no way to pedal assist them and thereby obtain the very necessary regular daily exercise that I need and thereby keeping my doctor happy with me.

bluegoatwoods, - Yes the Seal certainly is unusual, but having spent much time piloting sidecar outfits when I was younger I can understand and appreciate just how useful such a vehicle can be. :)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

Three trycycles make car for two. Dr. J. B. Hanson and wife demonstrate their car. (Photo by Fox Photos/Getty Images). Circa 1931

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Hello there,

... and now, something quite different: rowing velocars!

Good choose to not going in reverse, similar to rowing racing boats! A few were developed by USA scientist, of German origins: Dr. Manfred Curry, successful naval engineer and architect!

It seems to me that both old and new land-skiffs was quite fast, but for athletes... Steering is by feet! One modern at video-clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRH-pTMQugw#t=111

Some photos are attached in this and following messages. Propelling velocars by cables could be interesting, but another time about that!

Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Zoran, the one that's powered by accordion music is very interesting ;)

Seriously though I don't think a rowing type landskiff would be for me. Not especially ladylike in action for a start and secondly I don't want to begin a career as a lady arm wrestler :eek: