Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Mister B,

I promised myself the next 4 builds are the last one. One a month. That would be a personal dream and a nightmare at the same time. This darned thing has kept me up nights as it is.

No more, it has to look like, builds for me again. From now on anything I build will be more along the lines of, what was he thinking when he did that.

Steve

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thanks Silverbear,

They took the piston out of the block looking for it since the bearings fell into the back side of the piston because the motor was upside down when they undid the bearing. Nothing and the looked all over the shop incase it had stayed in the bearing cap and fell out when they pulled it out.

The shop is small and was impeccably clean when I was there. That was nice to see in an odd sort of way. When I got home and went into the garage it was abundantly clear why I never would have been a machinist.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Rick,

Thank you. I was just out looking at the badge and I'll try and repair the damage tomorrow. At the worst it has been gently aged.

I tend to stay away from things like cutting key ways with files. Past experience has taught me that that is not a good idea with me being involved. I'm the only guy in school who made a hammer where the handle was heavier than the head.

My grandfather was a tool and die maker in England and he was the man responsible for making and installing the lighting in the Titanic. I kept it well hidden so he never saw it. :)

Ya, a clean machine shop. Scared me as well. Three words that should never be seen in the same sentence.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi BarelyAwake,

Just playing catch up here. That is one that I've never seen before. Great photo indeed and thank you for posting it. The rear rack/ seat is a great idea that could be carried over to any bike build.

I contacted the machinist who is building and modifying the motor for the tricar and it is indeed finished and ready for pickup. As soon as I'm feeling a little better I will be off to pick it up.
Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't the 7:14 out of Cincinnati.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
For those of you who are still following this thread after all these years there will be some closure. The motor is back at long last and I'll start putting it back together tomorrow after I take some photos.
This is is crunch time for me when I find out if the all the sleepless night and plotting and planning will work out.

Even bought an inch pound torque wrench to tighten the head and other bolts.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Here are some photos of what was done to the motor. The crank was removed from the block so it could be turned down so the clutch fit on it and then a key way was cut into it.

The jack shaft had the hub on the large sprocket recessed so the hub on the small sprocket would fit inside it. Then the hub on the large sprocket was turned down as well as the smaller sprocket hub and then they were welded on to the jack shaft.
That reduced the weight by a considerable amount.

I'll start putting it in tomorrow to see how it lines up.

Steve.

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/sp...uild/DSC_0011_zps02c16d8a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looks good, Steve. Without the shroud and pull start stuff and shortened shaft that really shrunk the engine down. 147 hot little CC's... woohoo! I haven't taken the shroud off of mine yet to look at it, but your flywheel used to have cooling fins didn't it? How did Rick make them disappear? I think I told you that I found a smallish Toro snow blower at the dump a few weeks ago which I brought home in order to see what the engine was. Lo and behold it was a Jacobsen like ours, but with a different carburetor and a little different in the shroud, but it is the same engine.

Since I have a second one now I'm thinking to do some experimenting with it, removing the shroud, removing the cooling fins, cutting the crankshaft short and following BarelyAWake's suggestion to cut my own keyway with a dremel tool. Since I have nothing invested in the engine, what's to lose but some time and energy?

You may recall that mine is to power the "kindalikeawhizzer" once the builds in front of it are done with. It would be nice to shrink that engine down so that it could fit lower into my 51 cantilever Schwinn frame. As it is the engine will have to sit pretty high up due to it's width. It would be nice to alter the engine without taking it apart and enlisting the aide of a machinist which is well beyond my budget.

I can't see the other side of the engine much at all but am assuming there is a nut on the flywheel. That makes me wonder if the hand crank idea I'm working on for the Elgin would work on this engine as well. Your starter is the pedal crank somehow, as I understood you to say. I don't see how it works, though.

It will be real good to see that sweet motor sitting in the tri-car frame at long last. Looking forward to photos...
SB

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Rick,
Say you didn't have either a lathe, sand blaster or milling vise for a drill press (or money)... and you were still persistent enough that you wanted to remove the fins, shorten the crankshaft and make the centrifugal clutch stay put on the engine... what then? Can it be done by hand? I think I could do the keyway for a half moon key with a dremel tool, time and patience. Cutting off the crankshaft could be done with a cutoff wheel on the side grinder (I think) and I was thinking that say an 1/8" in from the end of the crankshaft cut in a groove for a C clip to give a little insurance of the clutch staying in place.

I know a machinist would cringe at what I'm suggesting. My machinist grandfather would look the other way and say "I don't know who he is; we're not related". Ha!

Can the old bear do this thing?
SB

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Absolutely ,SB, I was told once that with enough patience and perserverance a man could strech a canaries arse around a telephone pole, with that said.
I suppose the flywheel could be done by cutting the fins off by hand (cut-off wheel hacksaw)
c-clip on the crank i would do with a hack saw blade and a running engine
keyway can be done with a file.
Or you could ship it my way and I'll send it back completed

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've no doubt your doing it would bring better results in a fraction of the time, but where's the challenge in that? I think I'll take the tin work off of the found engine for a look to see what I'm up against. Time is not such a big deal for me when I consider the length of the winter coming up. Snow should be here already and the last of it gone in early May. I need cabin fever antidotes like books and projects to keep me relatively sane. It was different when I was a young fellow working with a chainsaw in the snowy woods, cross country skiing and riding my Indian ponies. As an elder I don't do any of that anymore and spend too much of winter indoors looking out. It passes much more slowly that way, waiting for spring to come... so it is good to be busy. Thank you good sir!
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Let me revise my plan a wee bit. First off I was out looking at the engine from the Toro snowblower and although the flywheel shroud and general shape of the engine were much the same it was clearly a different engine... did some more looking and identified it as a Tecumseh 2 stroke. Sitting the two engines next to each other and I must have had a welding helmet on to have thought they were the same. The cylinder head suggests the Tecumseh is perhaps half the displacement of the Jacobsen. So scratch that. Anybody looking for a Tecumseh 2 stroke?

I took the pull start shroud off the Jacobsen and saw very quickly that I was staring at a can of worms. You must have a different flywheel on Steve's as this one is so different... not just the missing blades, but the whole bell shape of yours. Even if I removed the blades... what about the magneto, the magnet on the flywheel and the round dealy shown at top center in one of the photos? Plus there is a green tab thing attached to the carburetor which extends into the flywheel area doing I know not what. It looks like a number of opportunities for me to screw something up. Best left to someone competent, like you, Rick.

So, if I do anything to modify this engine it will be limited to the crankshaft in the area shown with the clutch. By cutting it off I could gain a couple of inches which is no small matter, but the engine would still need to sit pretty high in the frame. Which I may do and on the other hand it may suggest changing horses mid stream with a different engine choice.

msrfan has demonstrated in a number of his truly great builds that a 5 horse Briggs four stroke can be shoe horned into the 51 cantilever Schwinn frame. That might be a better choice for the "kindalikeawhizzer" build. Plenty of time to think about it. Over the winter I'll spend some evenings perusing his builds once again. Still, it would be nice to do something special with that Jacobsen engine. Decisions, decisions...
SB

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Silverbear,

You have the electric start model. The fly wheels are indeed different. The teeth on the back of your flywheel are for the starter. Does your motor have a key way cut into it for a chain drive clutch or did you just put a clutch on it to see if it would fit.

Do you want the flywheel from the motor I brought home? Maybe have Rick modify it if he will. I could send it to him to cut out a bunch of shipping.

Just looked up the factory repair manual I have for the Jacobsen and it has a 102cc motor with 3 hp. From what I can find the Tecumseh has 85cc and 3 hp.

The green tab may be the power burst feature. When the motor bogged down from the amount of snow it was moving the carb gave the motor more gas as the tab moved due to the lack of air moving over it.

Steve.