Weed Wacker Engine Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

DaBucs87

Sep 8, 2009
Somwhere
hi, i had this old weed wacker laying around so i decided im gonna put it on my bike and have a motorized bike. so everythings set, i have the bike, the engines rdy to be installed but i have a few questions. im gonna do a gear ratio of 18.75 like i hear most ppl but how do i do that? i kno its with sprockets and stuff and the amount of teeth on them but how do i get the proper gear ratio? i kno i sound stupid but i rly dont kno that much and wanna learn. plz help thanks.

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
The other day i was riding around town....stopped for a smoke and a kid pulled up on his weedwhacker bike...it was absolutely a zero dollar build....a juckyard bike...a peice of plywood for a rear rack that he bolted the motor to with a gastank from other yard tool tied behind the motor....he had a small sprocket attached to the motor and a larger sprocket somhow attached to the wheel....he removed the crank and bolted a 2x4 for a footrest....im positive he dident count any teeth on the sprockets.....but the thing was he took a good look at my bike and said....bummer ya gotta peddle to start that thing.....then he pulled the rope pull and took off like a shot.....it was a beautiful thing....i was proud of the kid from my town.......Moral to the story.....just build it man!!!! wish i got a pic of this guys ride.... good luck.....j

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
The other day i was riding around town....stopped for a smoke and a kid pulled up on his weedwhacker bike...it was absolutely a zero dollar build....a juckyard bike...a peice of plywood for a rear rack that he bolted the motor to with a gastank from other yard tool tied behind the motor....he had a small sprocket attached to the motor and a larger sprocket somhow attached to the wheel....he removed the crank and bolted a 2x4 for a footrest....im positive he dident count any teeth on the sprockets.....but the thing was he took a good look at my bike and said....bummer ya gotta peddle to start that thing.....then he pulled the rope pull and took off like a shot.....it was a beautiful thing....i was proud of the kid from my town.......Moral to the story.....just build it man!!!! wish i got a pic of this guys ride.... good luck.....j
That's why I carry my camera on my belt everywhere I go.

hick185

Oct 12, 2008
Tell City, Indiana
hi. i just finished building my own motorized bike. i haven't even gotten to make a post about it. I used a 27cc weedeater engine that i mounted in the frame of my 26" mountain bike. I had previously had it set up as a friction drive. I decided that i didn't want to pedal anymore so my bike only uses engine power. I have it set up with a 23 to 1 gear ratio and i kept the centrifugal clutch. i weigh about 200lbs. the bike does pull me from dead stop but it is slow to take off. so far i've had it about 15mph(no speedo just estimate). i haven't had enough time to get it out and try to go faster. it doesn't like to pull up a hill on a take off but with pedal assist you should be good to go. just give it a try. most likely you'll get frustrated while building it but just take your time and do it right. oh one more thing have fun.