New Flying Horse 66/80 will Not start

GoldenMotor.com

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
Just installed my FH and it wont start up. It did the first day but now it just wont go, and it will not idle. The day it was running, when i would come to a stop the eng. would just die . But now nothing. Carb is speed carb (20$ upgrade for kit from bb). Needle is in stock position ,in middle. Please help ,im going no where fast

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
for the idling part, did you adjust the idle knob? My bike now i have to twist the knob almost tight to have it idle on a cold start and after a min i start re adjusting the knob again to bring the rpms down. Are your wires connected? because sometimes you forget without looking and they are unpluged. When you go to let out the clutch when starting, does it make a choppy start like the piston is moving or is it very smooth like there is no griping? happened to me one time where i had to adjust the clutch cable "JUST A TAD" for it to grip and restart. too much and id have the same problm again. what spark plug n r u using the stock boot with the kit? id change that peice of crap for an automotive one

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
I did adjust the idle knob and a couple of days ago when I had some trouble I guess I adjusted it to much to the left, next time I went to adjust it, POOF the screw was gone....so I adjusted the throttle and clutch cable to try to get it going again and finally It did and barely got me home. Next day I had to go to work by way of motorized bicycle, it did great getting there but on the way back home the engine would go good for 30 sec, then slow down substantially. It did this the entire way home, until I got about 50 yards from my place, then it just wouldn't start anymore. Im puzzled as heck and I am wondering if I should open up the engine and see whats going on inside...but then I wouldn't even know what to look for, AhhhhHHHhhhHHHhhhhh this damn motorized bicycle is using up all my patience

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
anything will work to just plug that hole as long as it isn't long enough to reach inside

this means your idle will have to be adjusted by the cable adjusters or just hold the throttle open a bit with your hand

you can make an idle screw with about 1/2 hour's work with jeweler's files, but the shape needs to be right to avoid damaging the slide in the carb

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
anything will work to just plug that hole as long as it isn't long enough to reach inside

this means your idle will have to be adjusted by the cable adjusters or just hold the throttle open a bit with your hand

you can make an idle screw with about 1/2 hour's work with jeweler's files, but the shape needs to be right to avoid damaging the slide in the carb
About how long should the screw be? If you have a pic that would be awesome,ty none the less

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sounds good as if you don't have one there to copy, getting it shaped properly can be hard

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
So now I have the idle screw from labrat and installed the new engine mount screws after 1 tap and die set ,1heli coil kit, 1 drill and titan 1/4bit, I can try starting her up again....btw, it still wont start....... Okay spark do I have a spark....

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
okay motor assisted bicycle is now going and sounds great, had to fix a leaky gas tank due to horrible Chinese welds on bottom of tank where bolts meet(might have tightened the poor china girl tank too much) also had to get new gas line for petcock to gas filter(gas was leaking out of top of gas line where it meets the petcock on tank, after adjustments to idle screw motor assisted bicycle is idling nicely ,will be taking her to work tomorrow ,will post results tomorrow-thanks to all for the super help