29 inch 48 spoke Wally world remedy

GoldenMotor.com

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN
Price point seems to kill a 48 spoke hub upgrade conversion for a 29 inch rim ....

.... love the onex rim with 48 spokes .... looks cool ... love the rim ... love the tire ....

.... but the hub .....?

... ball bearings ....

... anyway to upgrade this hub?

... costs ... seem to bring it back to a sturmey archer 32 spoke hub ....

... buy a huffy 29 ..... cut and thread the 12 gauge spokes and add a nice multi speed rear hub with drum brake ....

... love the onex frame ......

.... but no way to salvage its wheels ...

... maybe superior ball bearing upgrade?

Last edited:

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
i ahve a similar problem. i have the genisis 29 and its eating rear wheel bearings every 15-30 miles. ride to work for two days, tighten the hubs. im going to go to a bike shop tonight and see what they recommend.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
I don't get the dislike of ball bearing and cone hubs, they're durable and rebuildable if you know what you're doing. A well greased and adjusted cone and ball hub will probably outlive most HT engines if properly serviced.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
yeah i think iv figured out my problem. put 80 miles on my rear without having to adjust it yet.

i went to a bike shop and axplained my problem. they told me before i go spending the money on a new wheel to:

1: get the RIGHT tools and make sure the bearing cups are properly torqued.

2: make sure the rear axle is not bent.

both of wich will cause excessive wear accoring to them.

i bought the right wrenches to tighten bearing cups because i knew i had mine apart and didnt have the tools... and a pair of needle nose plieres did not cut it. that last about 40 miles. i then checked out my rear axle and it was indeed bent. i strainted it and so far iv gotten over atleast 80 miles without a problem. if they come loose again im getting a new axle. mainly because i know its not 100% perfect.

Gp masta

Apr 17, 2014
Miami, Florida
[/URL][/IMG]There is a bike shop around my area that does a super job up grading the genesi 48 spoke rim. They charge me $90 to put biggest spokes with 6 hole disc hub