Oil leak from engine (Pictures)

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Firs let me welcome you to the forum. We're glad you've joined and we hope we can help you.

From the photo it appears the cylinder to case gasket is leaking. Since you have torqued the head correctly I have to assume the gasket is defective. Not too common but it happens. New gaskets are available from many vendors but you can also seal that area with a good automotive quality gasket sealer such as Permatex.

Repair will necessitate removing the cylinder. You'll then need to compress the piston rings when you reinstall it. Make sure the rings are aligned with the alignment pins in the ring grooves while inserting the piston back into the cylinder.
Good luck. Let us know if this advice helps.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
wipe it carefully & try to spot where it first appears - sometimes this is just a defect in casting around that front case bolt - many new motors come with an extra washer there now, or an o-ring under the bolt head

if that isn't it, you may have a leak at the base gasket that may be fixable by putting some non-hardening permatex form-a-gasket on it

ChiefSeason

May 3, 2016
California!
Hey guys thansk for the replies. I know I'm late but i just removed the jug and put some "Red RTV High Temp Gasket Maker" by Permatex.

I'm worried because on the back it says "NOTE: Not recommended for use on head gaskets or parts in contact with gasoline."

Do you guys think it'll be okay? Back when I was shopping for gasket maker I could never find one that didn't say something like that.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you didn't say if you still had the old gasket or were putting it on bare

when I have a base gasket, I just let it soak a few minutes in 2-stoke oil and install it

without a gasket, I'd use non-hardening permatex - it isn't a really critical spot though, so RTV should work OK