Fixie Thruster motorized bike build

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas

longo3

Jul 23, 2012
tennessee
I went for a ride today and lost my upper needle bearing. It didnt sieze but it wouldnt start again. Needle gouged cylinder and put dents in top of piston. Thats one more motor breakdown the Thruster Fixie has made it through without fail. I found a whole upper rebuild kit (with bushing not bearing) for 45 bucks.

http://www.livefastmotors.com/categories/motorized-bicycle-parts/rebuild-tune-up-kits.html

Is it worth it ? Twice that much for whole new motor.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I went for a ride today and lost my upper needle bearing. It didnt sieze but it wouldnt start again. Needle gouged cylinder and put dents in top of piston. Thats one more motor breakdown the Thruster Fixie has made it through without fail. I found a whole upper rebuild kit (with bushing not bearing) for 45 bucks.

http://www.livefastmotors.com/categories/motorized-bicycle-parts/rebuild-tune-up-kits.html

Gotta take her easy there..lol...wee.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa

Yes, I believe it is worth it. I have my motor mounted to the bike frame all custom and have my drive chain just how i like it, carb tuned etc. Replacing the top end only lets me not mess with any of that. With these Chinese engines, imho its really a gamble because "new" does not always mean "fully functional" Replacing the top end only is also nice because you do not have to dismount the engine and my bottom end was solid. Pull your head and piston jug, check for wear on the bottom end, (see if the rod has up-and-down movement) and make the call from there.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Its good to hear the bike has worked out for you long term as I have a Thruster waiting for a motor to be slapped on someday.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I also have a thruster.I quickly grew to dislike the 700c wheels so I turned it into a 26'' coaster brake bike and it is so much better.Fat cruiser tires transform this bike in a good kind of way!.I took the motor off and put it on my brown bike.

Last edited:

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Yeah,,
I dont know if I would feel to comfortable ripping around on those skinny wheels and tires it comes with,,I like em beefy myself.

Would really like to build one of those Genesis mountain bikes w/the front suspension and disc brake next,,maybe Ill keep that one for myself unless I get an offer I cant resist!

Junkyard dog

Mar 6, 2020
I used my dremel to make the sproket hole fit on the fixed cog and bolted the motor's sprocket directly onto the fixed cog. The bolt holes lined up perfectly with the cog teeth. This entire bike is built for these motors- The right size pipes, sprocket ready to bolt to fixed sprocket(with just a little dremel), and lots of room in frame.