My first build: 1912 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The build is sweet and the tank is something that I've wanted to try for a long time even if I never had a bike for it.
My thoughts were if I tried to build one I would split exhaust tubing in half and weld a filler piece into the center so I didn't have to roll the sides.

Steve.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Well, I finished the bottom motor mount today and popped the frame off of the jig. I put the wheels and the forks on to see how it sits. When I install the pivots on the front forks the front end will lower just enough for the frame to sit level. So far, so good!

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
I forgot to mention this photo: This is what happens when you start losing argon while tig welding. I had a meter valve failure and lost half my argon before I found the problem. I will need to grind and re-weld this joint, but I have to weld the gussets anyway so it's only a little extra work.

Next up; the gas tank!

[/IMG]

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
gnu, the argon is a shield and acts as a flux in both tig and mig welding, once the argon runs out, ****tyness ensues as you can see from my weld.
One thing I have noticed is argon flow-rate seems more critical in mig welding then with tig. Not sure why that is...

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
i understand the gas is a sheild gas , what I meant was if my pressure fluctuates or the sheild gas is blown away by wind or what ever you will get a porous an crappy looking weld . I have also tried using lower pressures an different gasses but for me co2 an argon mixed works best .

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I have a question for you. If you are using a Lifan engine with a five speed transmission and you are going to use a reduction jackshaft, how are you going to run it? Have the jackshaft 1:1 so it really isn't a reduction? Never go into first or second gear and just run it as a three speed? Put a very small rear sprocket on it to compensate?

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
I have a question for you. If you are using a Lifan engine with a five speed transmission and you are going to use a reduction jackshaft, how are you going to run it? Have the jackshaft 1:1 so it really isn't a reduction? Never go into first or second gear and just run it as a three speed? Put a very small rear sprocket on it to compensate?
I am using a smaller final sprocket.

I could not calculate the exact gear ratios, only get close, so I have some options to slow it down if need be with the jackshaft setup.

I am using 1:1 from engine to jackshaft, a 26 tooth gear next to that and a 36 tooth sprocket at my rear wheel.