Help with wiring

GoldenMotor.com

raneyd

Doug in Wyoming
May 16, 2008
:-||

Can someone help me with a wiring diagram? What do I do with the white wire and how do I wire the kill switch (these seem to be my primary questions today).

Thanks,

DR

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Well I got the wiring down but the switch is crap. I don't like the look of the aftermarket pushbuttons, Radioshack has a plethora of toggles, and I was wondering if anyone knew which ones are easy to mount, that are semi-waterproof. I live in the pacific northwest

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
could make a switch like on a tread mill and when you take the plastic card w/you and the bike would be in kill switch position when you leave it setting

My engine has three wires...White, Black, and Blue. The Black and blue go to the cdi's black and blue wires. The kill switch goes between the black and white. On mine, I grounded the black wire to the frame also.

I used to run the kill switch between the black and blue wires but it kept shocking the pee out of me now and then. Not cool, but funny to watch.

I now have a 1/8" Stereo Panel-Mount Phone Jack mounted inside a short section of conduit under the seat as a stealth kill switch. The switch grounds the white wire to the frame when the male phone plug is removed. This works great as a cheap keyed ignition. It foils those who would go for a joyride in my absence. I even soldered a small wire loop out the end of the male connector and have my lock keys hanging from it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I agree with Venice. Get rid of that white wire and wire the kill switch wires to the blue and black from the engine/CDI.
Any switch will work as a kill switch. You could even use an old wall switch if you wanted to. The important thing to remember is, when the switch contacts are closed, the engine won't run. When they are open...it will. That's IF you wire the engine like the diagram below shows. There are options but this way has proved to be the best.
Tom

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
then it is better to short the blue and black wire togeather rather than put a toggle switch ,or even a dead man switch on just one of them?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
corgi1,
Either way will work. There is no conclusive evidence that shorting or opening the circuit is bad. Its just a good idea to have some way to shut down the engine other than using the clutch or choke. An emergency situation needs a way to kill power immediately. The kill switch is the way to go. I'm just not a fan of using the white wire for anything. I cut them off of every engine and use batteries to power lights and the blue and black shorted together to kill the engine. I've never had a problem with that method.
Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I wired my kill to the blue and black, but I also wired the black to ground. It that OK?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I wired my kill to the blue and black, but I also wired the black to ground. It that OK?
The black wire is a ground wire. It is attached to a magneto mounting screw. There really is no reason to ground it to the frame. If you're not using the white wire then there is no need for an external ground.
Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The black wire is a ground wire. It is attached to a magneto mounting screw. There really is no reason to ground it to the frame. If you're not using the white wire then there is no need for an external ground.
Tom
Since I already got in hooked up does it hurt anything if I leave it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Since I already got in hooked up does it hurt anything if I leave it?
I'm assuming you mean grounding the black wire...No, there is no reason to change it. Leaving it grounded won't hurt anything. Just make sure that pesky white wire can't touch anything. Insulate it so there is no chance of it coming in contact with either the bike frame or engine case.
Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm assuming you mean grounding the black wire...No, there is no reason to change it. Leaving it grounded won't hurt anything. Just make sure that pesky white wire can't touch anything. Insulate it so there is no chance of it coming in contact with either the bike frame or engine case.
Tom
Thanks Tom, I have a better understanding now. Thanks for the wiring diagram. My kit didn't come with one, and the instructions were clear as mud. My bike fired right up on it's maiden voyage