Replacing the small bevel gear

GoldenMotor.com

bradentonmotorbikes

Nov 4, 2009
Bradenton Florida
Hey guys,
Today after riding for a while I noticed and extremely notorious sound coming from the clutch so we took the case off and found that the small bevel gear was completely tore up. After a while of trying to figure how to replace it, we're stuck.
Anyone got any tips or tricks for how to get that sucker off there?

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
You need a "Puller" to take it off. Remove the flat head screw and install the puller. It's keyed so dont lose it!! This is the tool... you may have received one in your kit. Tip: the threads on the gears are really thin so make sure the puller is threaded all the way on or they will strip out.
ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_4

Tron1221

Feb 23, 2010
St. Louis
As far as I can tell, the puller threads in and "locks' against the flat washer in the small gear and then a thinner bolt is thread in and pushes against the crankshaft to "push" the small gear off. I imagine it is keyed?

In my case, when I took to clutch cover off, the flat screw to the small gear was loosened to the point of rubbing a circle on the clutch cover. This, apparently, allowed the small gear to unseat. I screwed the flat screw down tight, but the small gear still seems further out than it should be.

If my understanding of the puller is correct, then I should be able to simply use a block of wood and a hammer to tap the gear back into place for proper alignment and wear. Correct??? :)

Now, looking at the pictures again, it appears the flat washer is flat against the crank telling me the gear cant go in any further. I might need to look closer but one image I saw on the forum seemed to have the outer edges of the gears even. What am I missing here?

Thanks!!
-Bob

http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/we.gif

Attachments

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
from what i remember mine is not 100% even, not as far out as that but tolerances are tolerances. dont forget the gasket on that cover plate, i know its almost insulting to suggest that, but we all forget the little things sometimes