Goodbye 2 stroke!

GoldenMotor.com

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
The Titan has arrived.

Well I'm tired of my rattletrap 66 vibrating my *** off and vibrating itself to pieces daily. So I finally bit the bullet and just ordered a titan 50 rear mount from dax. A search turned up all good news....I like the idea of a smooth running somewhat balanced engine thats built to last.

Where are the titan owners at?

Last edited:

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
If the 66cc was vibrating throughout the rpm range, then it is severely out of balance or the crankshaft is probably bent. You should contact your vendor if it was that bad. Your engine could be defective.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
My DAX Titan vibrates quite a bit, enough to make my hands numb sometimes even with fairly thick foam grips. It isn't broken in yet though.

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
I guess I could've bought 3 more crapshoot 66's for the cost of this engine but I need longetivity and reliability. I looked around for a 47R engine but apparently you can't get them anymore. The francos would be awesome but they're outta my price range.

Goodbye rear rack, welcome back water bottle holder. Yey!

I'm sure I'll be on here with all my opinons on the kit the night I get it and install it. I'm starting with the standard 44t sprocket but If I don't have to pedal up any hills I will be gearing her up.

Now all I need to do is find a turbo small enough for this engine to spool :D

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I got 2 try out a rear rack 47cc two-stroke. I was very impressed with the power and torque from this motor. It definitely performed better then the China Girl motors, smooth and vibration free and hit 30-35mph with no trouble what so ever.

Last pic is the 47cc on left and Titan on right (red bike).

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If I ever abandon my 2 stroke oil burners and go for a 4 stroke I'd look at an in-frame mount. I've ridden rack mounts and for me it's an exercise in gymnastics leaping over all that machinery. If I ever considered a rack I'd go with a step-through, girl's bike. But then at my age I've found it more comfortable to squat when I p**, so what do I know? The rack mounts are good for tall guys with plenty of leg and agility. Be ready for that.
Tom

Last edited:

Zev0

May 18, 2009
Rio Grand Valley
yeah those rack mounts are like mounting a tv set on the rack,lol.
Not true. I have a robin/subaru 33 and it only weighs like 7 pounds and sits well below my seat. I'm 65 so not as spry as I used to be but still have no trouble throwing the leg over. If I can get it over the seat, it auto goes over the motor.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I bend my leg and it clears my engine when I get my leg over.
Buddy,what do you mean when you say your engine vibrates?
My Titans are as smooth as can be.
Personally I like the rack mounts because in everyone's eyes they see a bicycle with a helper engine.
The frame mounts people see an early motorcycle and is not as accepted in the bike trails at least in my experience.
I still like my China 2 stroke though.
It's just a different animal is all.

Last edited:

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Heres the old HT and the titan kit. The fasteners are higher quality than the ones included with my gasbike jet engine. Everything is beefier anyhow. I'm spinning 14mm wrenchs now instead of 10s all the time. Its nice cause you can actually torque the bolts and not worry about threads pulling off.

Its unfortunate I seem to be the victim of some shipping damage. The 10 tooth sprocket on the PTO had 3 bent teeth. The PTO itself has 2 small cracks in it. I need to email dax the pictures...I assume the shipment was insured.

I am almost done installing the kit. Everything went well so far. Besides the shipping damage the only problem I ran into was with the 6mm engine mounting studs. They were far too short. I made a trip to the local hardware store bought 4 of their longest 6mm bolts and cut the heads off. Its impossible to find 6mm threaded rod around here... I forgot I had to lengthen the wires for the kill switch also.

I'm not sure what the rubber tubing is for. I'm also not sure what the L shaped bracket on the torque strap is for.

Attachments

Last edited:

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
The studs on mine were just barely long enough. There's 2 hoses that go on the engine, they were already installed on mine. One is an overflow for the carb and the other goes by the carb too if I remember right. The L bracket on the torque strap bolts to the engine mount plate. How did you bolt the torque strap without it? There's pictures for the install on the website.

Just call Duane and tell him about any problems and he'll take care of you.

Last edited:

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
I don't care if I have to get a running start, jump and land on the seat. At least I won't be driving a FORD bicycle anymore. Fix Or Repair Daily I love to turn wrenchs but I need something more reliable. You've gotta pay for quality and so far it seems like I made a good choice. Staton kits look great but they are considerably more expensive.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
You definitely don't need a running start. I pedal one or two turns and go. I doubt I'd even have to pedal if I didn't want to but it's easier on the clutch.

How did you fasten the torque strap without the L bracket? I'd love to see a picture.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I love how they've set up that Titan. I've got a lot of hills here in the Rockies that I kill the engine and coast down, then at the bottom I just reach back with my left hand fire up the engine and I'm gone without having to stop and get off the bike to start the engine.