what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
made myself a spring tensioner. it appears that it should work just fine. best part is it was made from things i had laying around.
At least you made yours. I was just thinking about my bike right now since I haven't ridden it for a couple months. Ended up looking at chain tensioners and just bought one. I wanted the one that replaces the engine sprocket cover but I can't get the screws out.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
At least you made yours. I was just thinking about my bike right now since I haven't ridden it for a couple months. Ended up looking at chain tensioners and just bought one. I wanted the one that replaces the engine sprocket cover but I can't get the screws out.
Those damned screws weld themselves into the holes from electrolysis. Best method to remove is the old-style impact tool, the kind you hit with a hammer. Motorcycle repairmen couldn't live without one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141696831659?item=141696831659&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

This is a bit more than I'd pay but Harbor Freight has had them for just over $10

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
Replaced my motor drive chain , the kit chain finally gave out after 5,825 miles . Over my holiday break , I installed two hand built 26" wheels with 12 ga. spokes and a front disk brake ...

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
Thats a nice looking bike.

My chain tensioner came in yesterday, its with the spring. After the rain took my bike for a ride first time in months. It works great, it doesn't bounce or come off the roller like some people experience. Only problem I have is when starting the bike the chain pushes down all the way.

I ended up buying the 12 1/2 arch tensioner right now. Didn't see that till after I bought the spring loaded one. So $48 last week alone for tensioners.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
made myself a spring tensioner. it appears that it should work just fine. best part is it was made from things i had laying around.
The bracket should go up to the top stay for double mount,as this type of tensioner has a tendency to work its way into the spokes and good by wheel. I have one in the shed that did just that,needs rebuild.........Curt

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
i put a wheel back on her and a different motor and rode her for the first time in a few months. it was glorious i need a new brake cable however.

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
good afternoon beautiful, it's been awhile since you've been there in your spot. I finally got it riding last night and worked on the brakes and chain issues this morning. i dare say it's functioning again. i just need it to stop raining and then i'll be out and about. :) i'm so happy. i did have to remove the spring tensioner as i didn't have enough movement to bring the wheel back in the frame and be able to use it. it was a good idea and maybe i'll be able to come up with a better idea for it.
i rather like using a jack stand to put the bike on to allow for service.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
Fwiw, I found I could shorten the drive chain and put a half-link in the peddle chain and do away with the idler sprocket..shft.

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon

I added some safety reflector tape to my rack, I then rode my bike to work for the first time in a few months and I made it 99% of the way home and I get pulled over by a county sheriff. He only asked to see my driver's license and if I had a light on the front which I do. No warning about any law or anything it seems he just wanted to check it out.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

I added some safety reflector tape to my rack, I then rode my bike to work for the first time in a few months and I made it 99% of the way home and I get pulled over by a county sheriff. He only asked to see my driver's license and if I had a light on the front which I do. No warning about any law or anything it seems he just wanted to check it out.

Yeah, he couldn't find a Harley rider so he made do with you ;)

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I added a set of proper turn signals. Two red in back and two amber in front.

LEDs with an automotive LED compatible flasher unit. I got a little box that holds 8 AA batteries in series, giving 12 Volts. I couldn't find an On/Off/On switch at the auto parts store. So I got two On/Off toggle switches and put one on each handlebar near the grip. Mounted them on the hold down bolts for the brake/clutch levers. So activating them is simply a matter of reaching over with my thumb and throwing the switch. If I throw both at once, then I've got 4 way flashers.

More than half of my riding is after dark. And I used them tonight on my way home from work. It was definitely a more secure feeling signalling my intent to traffic in a way that everyone would see and recognize. I should have done this a long time ago.

This was a hurry-up job. So the wiring is not all that neat and tidy, for instance. And I was too rushed to be taking pictures in any case.

But I'm building another bike right now. And this one is meant to be very tidy. I'll build a better set of turn signals for that bike. And I'll get pics of that.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Regarding turn signals and whatnot: I'm looking at rigging up the same for my bike. I have some Mini Bee lights in amber and red on the way, and I'll be getting out my soldering iron and going to town in a while.
For right now, since it isn't yet street legal per the latest laws, I've been just riding ol' Tempus around in the mobile home park I live in. She's been tweaked and tuned and is humming about as well as I can possibly get her to. And during the latest ride I encountered a fellow resident who built and was riding his own motorized mountain bike. It had an HT with an Angle-Head and the usual other standard kit parts. From what I could take in at a glance he seemed to have done a good job with the assembly. I plan to try to get his attention at some point just to learn more about the man.

So, fellow Indy motorbiker, in the off chance that you may already belong to this forum and may also be reading this, if you're the guy in the Indianapolis area with the newly-motorized mountain bike who lives in the Skyway mobile home park, then I am the guy with the red vintage-looking balloon-tire motorbike who's been cruising in laps and stopping to adjust things. Don't be afraid to ride up and say "Hi". Join our noisy, smokey, buzzing little fellowship. :)