yesterday BIG TIME RECK!!!

GoldenMotor.com

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
Folks of motorized bicyclcers, be very careful riding your motorized bicycle on the road!!!
I have gotten hit by a car yesterday on the road...
luckily i was WEARING A BICYCLE HELMET!
and the car hit me from behind.
I was just cruising down a local road at about 20 miles/hour.
It was about around 9MP and was pitch dark where i was riding.
I had a cateye safety light on red light blinking mode in the back( sure it was working at the time and visible to many cars).
in the front i had 1 w bicycle light shining the road(though it isn't enough lighting at all for the speed of the bicycle... i was thinking of getting 10w lighting system on ebay.)
it happend so quickly, i didn't even know that i was going to get hit.
i have ridden my bike for about 3 month and all the cars were aware of me.
and either they slow down or pass me by.
I don't think i will ride on the road where there is no shoulders or sidewalk anymore.
because where i got hit there was no shoulders or sidewalk. just plain 2lane road.
and i found it very dangerous to ride on such road. you never know which car would not see you and hit you from the back.

luckily i don't think i hit the car when i was flying back.
i think i just landed on my body.
but found my helmet was cracked in half(bicycle helmet from walmart made of styroform)
luckily i didn't have any head injury.
without the helmet i would have had major head damage...
i didn't get no broken bones (very lucky) but had few sever muscle bruises on my right shoulder and right lower back.
was sent to hospital immediately and got x-rayed. and came back home in 3 hours.

the car driver who hit me was going pretty fast i think about 40~50miles per hour.
and the driver didn't even stop after hitting me.
other people from back pulled over and called an ambulance for me.

one more scary thing was right after i got hit and i was on the road i saw another car coming and i was trying to move my body but i couldn't
lucky that car saw me and stopped

right now i can barely move around at home with help of my family members.
i won't be working at least for a week until this muscle bruises are healed.

my bike was totaled my rear wheel got bent in half and so is my front wheel.

from now on i will always wear a helmet. and won't be riding where there is no shoulders or side walks.

just be care ful riding this bike on the road folks.
i thank GOD I didn't get major injuries.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Get well soon. Sorry to hear about your trouble. This is a good point to bring up and a fair example of roads and such. Makes since to have a nice bright rear light. Prolly don't help on a windy road very much tho as reaction time is last minute.

Pretty darn lousy that driver did a hit and run. Get well man..

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i read that the safety vests are very visible at night,and according to research fewer people are involved in accidents when wearing vests.

sorry you got hit,man.
that sucks.
the driver should have stopped.that bites.
hope you have a speedy recovery.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I hope you filed a police report. Hit and run is a very serious felony. I'd bet you did damage to his car, maybe enough for the driver to go to a car repair shop. They report things like this to the police when they know to look for it and the chances of catching the perpetrator is vastly increased.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Well, that a-hole driver will have to live with the guilt of not knowing if he killed you or not. Probably drunk or on drugs. Hope you get better soon, that really sucks. If I ever get hit and no serious damage is done, I'll tell the driver "$100 and you'll never see me again". That's only if it's his fault, if I was riding like an idiot I'll admit it.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I'm surprised Brentwood is a very nice part of Nashville. Glad you were't hurt bad. That's a felony not to stop. Glad others came to your aid. I used led flashlights pointed down into the chrome spokes at night for increased visibility. Be careful & get back on that horse when ya heal.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
If it was a hit and run you shouldnt have to file a report. Did the cops not show up when a ambulance was called to the scene for an injury accedent??

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Glad to hear your ok. That is a shake up for sure and I've been there as well.

File a police report right away. They will come to your house to talk to you I'm sure.
The creep left you there to die and could have cared less if he did, so you sure don't owe him anything.
The police and your fellow bike riders will thank you if you can get this creep off the road.

Steve.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Indeed! A serious crime has been comitted and this person needs to be caught and stopped from doing it again to the next guy. Could just as easly been a 8 year old girl and her mother going UNDER the wheels. File the report.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Probably a drunk. Hope all the soreness is gone quickly. It's nice of you to tell us what happened, and warn everyone.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
That's crazy there is no police report, hit and run is a major offense. You could of been killed!

It's irresponsible NOT to file a police report, follow up with that, you cant let that a-hole driver off so easy.

And get well soon!

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Rear end collisions on bicyclists used to be an infrequent problem. It is more likely that someone was on a cell phone and nailed you. If they were drunk it is to there advantage to run. Hit an run is a minor crime compared to injuring or killing somone while intoxicated. Make sure someone is with you when you file the police report. After making the report check up on the status to confirm that someone is actually attempting to do something to find the person who nailed you.

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
my dad went to the scene and found the piece of bumper looks like fog lap cover...
it has seriel numbers and make "TOYOTA".
i wonder if this helps to find the suspect...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Kavid, some people on this forum know what kind of accident I was in. To keep it short, I'll just say that two weeks of morphine drip didn't help much.
Speaking from that experience, may I advise this: for your own well-being, after the police report - get a good lawyer; one who will consult for free the first time. Tell him what happened. He'll ask about witnesses & documentation & hospital records. Many either have on-staff private investigators to find your missing offender, or they know good ones to split the bill with. (I was one of those investigators a few times.) He'll do the work, recouping damages to you, to your bike if he can, lost wages, pain and suffering. If you find a really good, competent lawyer, he will do lots of work for you and you won't have to pay him unless you both win.

Last edited: