New 26" drive wheel suggestions....

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I've been riding my gas bike a couple weeks now, since the bike was used to start with I am finding the old wheel wobbles I remember when pedaling become a real concern with an engine. So I have decided perhaps I should look into getting an entire new drive wheel for my bike instead of messing around with this old wheel and rag joint sprocket...
What I have now is an early 90's Specialized 26" rim with a Shimano 7-Speed Hyperglide Deore LX FH-M550 hub with indexed shifters. I would like to put a 26" rim on the bike that has a solid drive sprocket connection, like a disc brake mount converted or perhaps a wheel/hub designed specifically for a bike with an engine? I am not sure what all my options are???
I came across this link on ebay for a hub with a drive sprocket and a drum brake, has anybody tried one? 80cc motor bike - 44 t sprocket hub/axel w drum brake - eBay (item 140496627421 end time Jul-31-11 13:58:28 PDT)
I would like to get a nice new 26" wheel with a proper engine side sprocket setup and preferably retain the 7 speed setup I have now on the pedal side. It would be nice to have improved braking, I know the engine sprocket pretty much counts out rear disk brakes, but there is room over there for some kind of brake next to the sprocket, perhaps the drum brake? I want something solid, am willing to go the whole wheel route, or hub/rim/spokes if that will be more economical....
Any suggestions for wheels/hubs I should be looking at are greatly appreciated.....

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A lot of guys buy strong wheels from the Husky web site. Some have a shop build the stronger wheels. I bought a freeride mountain bike wheel at a swap meet for the rear of my motorbike, after already wearing out two rear wheels. I mounted a drive sprocket to the disc mount and replaced the skewer axle with a solid, nutted axle. So far, so good.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
A lot of guys buy strong wheels from the Husky web site. Some have a shop build the stronger wheels. I bought a freeride mountain bike wheel at a swap meet for the rear of my motorbike, after already wearing out two rear wheels. I mounted a drive sprocket to the disc mount and replaced the skewer axle with a solid, nutted axle. So far, so good.
I am not familiar with the Husky web site, could you please link it here so I can take a look? Thanks

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
You might try a hub with a freewheel sprocket mount on the motor drive side. Take a look at Staton Inc.'s custome hub and wheels.
Rear 36 Hole 12 gage Hub Left and right hand threads: Staton Inc
I had thought a bit about a freewheel on the engine side, would be cool, but how would you start the engine? Since the freewheel will spin when the tire moves faster than the drive sprocket there would be no way to pop the clutch and get her going? Or am I missing something???