Hello From Gainesville, FL

GoldenMotor.com

steiney

Mar 26, 2011
Gainesville, FL
Hello All!

I recently purchased a Jeep Patriot and took it offroading in the Withlacochee State Forest, about 1.5 hours south of where I live, and it was really fun, but I could only do so much without tearing up my new SUV.

I keep seeing people on motorized bikes around town, and I started thinking that I could put a really powerful engine/motor on my Specialized Rockhopper and have a cheap and really fast dirt bike.

I started Google-ing, and found this site. Seems like a pretty nice community of people interested in the same thing I am, although I assume some people are interested in a motorized bike for street/transportation purposes, where as others (like me) are interested in it for offroading purposes.

Anyway, I plan to start reading through the site to figure out what to get and how to go about making it work. If anyone has any specific suggestions related to using a high quality mountain bike and a really powerful engine/motor to make a dirtbike, I'd love to hear them.

See you around the site!

steiney

steiney

Mar 26, 2011
Gainesville, FL
Hey, thanks for the reply!

That's pretty pricey for me, however. I was looking at a Grubee Skyhawk 80cc kit that costs $200. I was figuring that if an 80cc is $200, I could get a 150cc for about $400, and use the same parts kit as I would with an 80cc. I could be completely wrong because I don't know much about motorcycles or motorized bikes.

The scsw boxer does look pretty sweet though. It's just that if I'm going to spend $2000, I would buy a nice, used dirtbike.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
the thing is boxer is only 48cc which makes it technically street legal in most places ).

imo, good luck getting a 150 cc motor into a bike that you would want to take over more then a pot hole. you're gonna want a full suspension bike for off roading imo, and most full suspensions are incredibly hard to motorize. with a morini costing $500 and needing tons of custom fabrication i think $2,000 for it is actually a pretty good deal.

but if you think you can get a 150cc into a bicycle and provide a safe and fun ride all the power to ya, looking forward to seeing what ya come up with.

steiney

Mar 26, 2011
Gainesville, FL
I don't know about safe, but it would definitely be fun! But seriously, I have no idea if I could get a 150cc on my bike. I'm totally new to this.

And the boxer is out of my price range. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money right now.

I'll keep you all posted though!