what plug is best to replace stock

GoldenMotor.com

handyjim

Mar 10, 2011
chicago
my plug is the 3 point plug the z4jc like to get better plug what type best split fire or platum any help will be great allso how do i put pic on my name on post jim in chicago ty all .trk

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The NGK B6HS seems to be a popular plug used in place of the stock one that comes with the kit.
It's not a 3-point type, though, it's a 'regular' type.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've never been a fan of Splitfire plugs. when they first came out years ago some guys i used to buy honda parts from did a review of them for a major magazine.

they put them into a mustang 5.0 engine on the dyno, and within a few minutes one of the electrodes broke off and destroyed the engine.

as far as a 3 point plug on our engines, i think it's overkill. there's only so much (or so little) performance gain you can get on a single cylinder engine. i mean, every little bit helps, but the difference between a good NGK BH series plug and some fancy exotic plug is so minimal it's just not worth the price difference.

that being said, i think any name brand, quality plug is miles better than the stock one. the quality is so bad i just throw them into a box and forget about them. some people like 'em, though. if nothing else, i'd change them out just for peace of mind.

all my bikes run a 7mm copper core wire, NGK B6 or B7HS, and a nice tight boot, gapped at .030

can't go wrong with that.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Interestingly enough the "demand" for the stock China plug around here is quite high, so much so that in fact I've not a single one left - I can't seem to hang on to one fer more than a coupla days when I get a kit...

I know a coupla performance outboard techs, greatly amused - they put 'em on the 'Wall of Shame', bring them with when they go to advanced training & certification for others to lol at & one of them keeps promising he's gonna put one on a plaque (still hasn't happend tho).

Conclusion? The China kit plug seems quite popular amongst the skilled professionals of performance marine engines laff