Frame failure

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Just read a post about a "Pannama Jack" with a frame failure. Now I have a Huffy Cranbrook and hope this is not a common thing. I do not think the frame is Al---- any input on this, should I have gone ahead and got a Schwinn or something. I did read of Al. being weak. Build planes out of it all the time but guess the alloy is not of the ST kind. Anyway I have not started with the build as of yet but if you guys think it would be a loss let me know. I am handy enough with wrenches and building that I can handle it. Guess I could keep inspecting the frame as time goes along. Let me have a little input here and thanks. usflg

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
I had a Cranbrook,and put over 3000 miles on it with no problems,then sold it and as far as I know it is still going.I did put a suspension fork on it,but that was the only change I made.Just check it over regularly and you should be fine.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Hey GPhil,
I posted the Failure on the Panama Jack. It's funny you post with this question. I just went to wally world and bought a CrankBrook to build my just recently rebuilt engine for my other Schwinn.
The CrankBrook is not aluminum. It is a steel/chromoly frame. It should not have any of the isssuse of the aluiminum frame I had.
Keep in mind, I am a large person,,, and that surly played a part in the aluminum frame failure.
Like you said, just keep looking the frame over for your own safety and maitenance needs. You should be just fine.
I'm heading out to the shop (garage) to build my CrankBrook.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
gphil,
I just finished putting together my CrankBrook. Rides smooth actually. The only thing I don't like is that black tank sitting up there. So before posting pics, I want to paint the tank.
I think you will enjoy the outcome of yours.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Just read a post about a "Pannama Jack" with a frame failure. Now I have a Huffy Cranbrook and hope this is not a common thing. I do not think the frame is Al---- any input on this, should I have gone ahead and got a Schwinn or something. I did read of Al. being weak. Build planes out of it all the time but guess the alloy is not of the ST kind. Anyway I have not started with the build as of yet but if you guys think it would be a loss let me know. I am handy enough with wrenches and building that I can handle it. Guess I could keep inspecting the frame as time goes along. Let me have a little input here and thanks. usflg
i HAVE DRILLED A COUPLE HOLES FOR CHASSIS grounds and the frame IS steel

yodar

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
My Cranbrook is painted a blue and cream fenders and trim in brown stripping. I found a rattle can of cream that is almost a exact match and so going to paint the Tank that color and try to put some trim on it. Well as the chain guard may change color. Come on warmer weather.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Anything can and will break. Bikes weren't designed for the stress and vibration that these engines will place them under. Like most structures, bicycles will exceed the stress limits they were designed to endure but we must be vigilant of stress issues least we get up close and personal with the pavement. I've broken chain stays on a mountain bike before and it wasn't even wearing an engine.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Most of us are are ridding rigged frames. These cruiser frames are for short distance, mellow ridding, at around 3 to 5 mph. We decide to lovingly strap engines to them, and run them at around 25 to 30 mph. With road conditions, body weight, engine vibrations, and endless motoring around, something is going to break. Things would last longer with suspension to absorbe the abuse. That requires a shift kit. And I'll plan that for a future build.

gphil,
I think I found the exact can of paint as you!!!! LOL!!!! I put 4 coats on last night and it is curing right now. It looks great, and accents the frame perfectly.
We are building twins!!!! Funny, but these "Off the shelf" builds kind of dictate the out come of the end result.
Still, have fun with your build, I am enjoying mine.