coil

GoldenMotor.com

fonfallyasto

Apr 16, 2010
Raymond WA
Can you take the coil off a lawn mower and use it on a motorized bicycle. I have been having a couple of problems with it. I did some test yesterday and it seems that it has to be the coil. The problem is my bike won't start. I have fixed all leaks, there is a new plug, and everything is working the way it should. The thing just won't start. Now I think that the problem is the coil. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A lawnmower coil is a different critter than the ones used on a 2 stroke bicycle engine. They are not compatible. The bicycle one has electronics inside it, lawnmower one just has a coil of copper wire.
If you are running a 4 stroke bicycle engine, I have not gotten inside one of those yet, so I will not comment on them.
My best advice to you is to get the coil made specifically for your engine.
FWIW if you are scratching your head over a 2 stroke HT, the stock plug in connectors between the engine and CDI coil are horrible and give lots of folks problems.
The stock spark plugs are also problematic, as are the spark plug wires.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've been doing this for around 3 years, & so far I haven't found any other coil (or magnito) that is interchangable with these HT engines... :(

I think Norman knows how to re-wrap more wire around the mag to get a little more power from it... (^)

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: coil - if you get some pictures up o....

- if you get some pictures up on here of a re-wrap ill be be here with bells on to take a gander ... i learn some things by looking at motor guts too yum yum lol and cool looking eye candy too !!!!
I've been doing this for around 3 years, & so far I haven't found any other coil (or magnito) that is interchangable with these HT engines... :(

I think Norman knows how to re-wrap more wire around the mag to get a little more power from it... (^)

peter carswell

Nov 18, 2009
Hamilton Ontario
myself i have run into problems with the magneto and cdi but mostly when i have rode my bike in the rain as they have failed fast and i had to replace them they should make these things more waterproof as sometimes you cannot avoid the rainy weather

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Re: coil - if you get some pictures up o....

- if you get some pictures up on here of a re-wrap ill be be here with bells on to take a gander ... i learn some things by looking at motor guts too yum yum lol and cool looking eye candy too !!!!
Check out Norm's 2 stroke repair center here on this site, in the bicycle motor section.
There you will find out everything about his coil re-winding endeavors and tons of engine guts "eye candy".