Motor mount bolts

GoldenMotor.com

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Built a bike and used the kit motor mount rear bolts like a dummy. So far the bolts have broken twice and I have had to extract them both times. Here's my dilema, believe it or not I can't find any class 8 metric bolts in this dang town. Been to Lowes, no deal, been to Home Depot, no deal, been to all of the auto parts stores, no deal. As much stuff thats being built in China now a days you'd think these hardware stores would carry a much larger selection of metric nuts and bolts or even all thread rod. Where is the best place online to buy stronger hardware for these kits. I've used the hardware kit from sick bike parts on a few motors but in those kits the motor mount all thread bolts don't look much better than the motor kit bolts. Thanks in advance for any help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've found every fastener I've ever needed at my local Ace Hardware. As for threaded rod; why are you using it? Replace the studs and nuts with Allen head cap screws. Ace carries them in the sizes you'll need to replace your motor mount fasteners. Make sure your engine is tight against the frame. No rubber, not resilient material at all. Use lock washers, tighten the bolts enough to flatten the washers then just a little more. You should not have any problems with broken fasteners if you follow this advice.

Tom

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I don't use threaded rod but when I couldn't find the bolts I needed I got desperate and started looking for it. We don't have an ACE hardware store here so I'm screwed on that idea. I would love to use alan head bolts to secure the rear motor mounts but like I said, they don't exist in this town, so far that is. I do have a piece of inner tube rubber sandwiched in between the bar and the mount to cut down on vibration but I can take that out if you think its a bad idea. I know of a good place to buy fasteners the next town over but by the time I get off of work they are closed and they are not open on weekends. Thats why I was wondering if I could purchase them on the internet, just out of convenience.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
We don't have them here, they are in the next town over and I just can't get there before they close. I'm a Deputy Sheriff and I work til 5 everyday and I can't go out of jurisdiction while i'm on the job. I will look at the fastenall website. Thanks guys.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Another thing to look for is the metric bolt kit in Autozone. It's about $20 or $30 but well worth it. It's a big plastic case and has various sizes of bolts, nuts, and washers that most of these kits and bikes use.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
In order to go through the rear mount spacer and into the engine base the screws have to about 60 mm in length don't they. I have actually found 50mm but they look like they might just barely be long enough to start threading in. I saw the metric kit you spoke of at Autozone today but the bolts weren't long enough.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Thanks 2door, just ordered 100 of those suckers. Now every bike I build will have them front and back. Ordered the 60mm's so I can always cut them to length if need be. I appreciate the help brother.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
There is a Tractor Supply in Columbus, but they didn't have any M6 bolts in 60 mm lengths. They said they'd order them for me but I figured If they can order them then so can I. Bought some #41 chain while I was there though, ten feet for ten bucks.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I do too, only problem is when you walk in its one o'clock and when you walk out its four o'clock, lol.