Sythetic Oil or Natural?

GoldenMotor.com

Cycofast

Jun 2, 2008
Indiana
My first tank of gas was 87 octane with synthetic 2 cycle, but I ran out of sythetic oil and put in some of my weed whacker's pre mixed gas/oil which uses regular 2 cycle oil. The weed wacker mix seemed to give off a lot more white smoke than the other two tanks using synthetic. Of course the weed wacker mix has probably been in my garage for 2 years or so, which could be problematic by itself. Does anyone else notice a difference?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Re: Synthetic Oil or Natural?

In some ways (top end/ignitionwise) these engines are just not that picky, otoh they need pretty oily bearings because they are fairly roughly machined.
One of the advantages of a smokeless two stroke oil is running a relatively high oil ratio (for the oil type as in running a 100:1 oil at 32:1) and not have deposits and smoke.

You weedwhacker mix allowed you to use up some old gas.....that's about it.

Take advantage of my sale in the swap shop forum below.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
In my experience synthetic doesn't really smoke. I have used some cheap dino oil in my bicycle motor and it smoked for the first 5 minutes....then only a little after it was fully warmed up. I changed it to synthetic and no more smoke- even on start up.

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
I use bulk 2 stroke dino oil. I have a half gallon of it and I just use that since it's cheap. The bike with the cat on it doesn't smoke much after it gets hot, but mine smokes more. you can notice it on a sunny, hot day with some haze.

When I use my stash up, ill head out and get full synthetic stuff. My mix is between 30-32:1. I have no gauge, so I guestimate.