• lifan

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • hs

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Honda will last and cost the most. Depends what type of setup your going with to be the best engine.Honda and Hs. Are great with the 5/8 4g and a shift kit. If you want more of everything that set up offers go with the 98cc Lifan with the shift kit and a 5 speed.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While the thread is likely only about the GXH50 & clones, I think it's somewhat important to note that not all models of cloned engines by the same manufacturer are of equivalent quality... clones are a very tricky business sometimes lol

Lifan a good example - while not bad at all, their cloned utility motors are generally not nearly to the same quality & specifications (aftermarket parts interchangeability) as their Honda CRF clones. The reason for this is unlike the copied utilities, there's been many reports claiming Honda had actually contracted Lifan to produce factory authorized replacement parts for their horizontal CRF type engines, Lifan then producing entire engines to the same specifications.

Thus, that particular model line is about as close you can get to a Honda for a fraction of the cost - corporate business ethics notwithstanding lol

True or not (Honda ain't saying, surprise surprise) a general rule of thumb when considering clones is to assume if it looks close, but not quite the same - it isn't the same & odds are even quite different where it counts. Research a clone's parts compatibility with it's branded equivalent, if the majority/all are cross-compatible then it's likely it's a direct clone & very close to the original's quality excepting some peripherals - for the CRF50 Honda/Lifan example this would include basic ignition components, starter & some fasteners... not partic an issue as they're all replacable w/Honda parts if desired.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Predator vs Huasheng vs Lifan rivals Honda. Which is best? Everyone copies Honda and they are getting so good at it and prolly infringing on Honda's legal rights to copied engines that they are so close to being the same as each other.

Honda's tolerances are more precise and original specs are hard to match and be as consistent, but you can buy 4 Predator GX200 clones for the price of the original Honda. What do you think will last longer?

The price one must pay for owning the big H laff

Edit: the latest 200cc Predators (212cc) have become almost 100% compatible in engine parts as the Honda GX200 and that's much different then how they were originally built (1st Gen.), 3 years later.

Last edited:

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
The September HF sale catalog has a super coupon for the 212 Predator for $99.99. I'm thinking about buying one just for that reason alone. scratg

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The Lifan Cub type clones are the most Hondafied I have found. The parts are interchangeable. There are a good # of manufacturers whose engines look similar but parts don't totally exchange. I have built several bikes with various Lifan engines both Cub types and industrial and have never had an issue. I am particularly fond of the 98cc flat head. Its produces great torque and is about as smooth as an indy gets.

Da Pedal

Apr 9, 2014
Fortress of Solitude, Florida
You have to really do some research with the clone motors. There's a thread on here about someone who bought the 97cc lifan from Home depot, only to discover upon further investigation that its a 79cc being sold as 97cc. Still is actually

*edit*- just found the thread- http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44557

. I am particularly fond of the 98cc flat head. Its produces great torque and is about as smooth as an indy gets.
I agree, it wasnt till after i purchased the 79cc Predator and started mocking it up that i learned the 98cc Lifan flat top was still available for purchase. Could've helped a bit since it's more compact yet still powerful and that definitely would helped with the fitting issues i had at that time.

The cheapest place i could find them was on OMB - http://www.ombwarehouse.com/2.8HP-Engine-DB30R-186.html

Last edited:

dirtwarrior

Aug 29, 2014
kentucky
I read the thread on the home depot engine before and found it very interesting.

This thread was to get a fresh prospective on it

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
The flat head and the overhead valve lifans are both 2.5 HP. Flat head give lil more torque and the and the ohv give higher rpms.