Grease: How Do You Do It?

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
No worries... AeroShell and the marine grade stuff are way overkill for these... unless you live on the coast somewhere... I'll stick to my Amsoil or the black molly stuff, it's not as messy and washes off my hands a lot easier... That Aeroshell stuff will send Fast Orange running with it's tail tucked between it's legs... lol

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
here is a link to the grease I have been using for a long time, it is 289.99 for 24 14oz tubes which is the minimum amount that can be purchased.

http://www.arrowmagnolia.com/productcart/pc/PEAK-52p1304.htm

this is some really good stuff and messy as heck... get a little dot of it on you and next thing you know you have it here and there... this stuff take super extreme pressure and heat.

Here is another excellent grease they make.

http://www.arrowmagnolia.com/productcart/pc/SUPER-IMPACT-52p1316.htm

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yeah... that stuff looks like overkill too... but better to have too much protection than not enough...
Another really good grease is the stuff they use to pack automotive CV joints since it has to stay in there for years and years with no real way to change it out... I used to save any excess grease after installing a CV joint if there was any left after packing the joint and the boot because it works very well on other stuff... it's tough and sticky also so it stays put really well.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
For a coaster brake hub, twice a year, or when the brake starts getting grabby. Any wheel bearing grease is good, but I use synthetic. I just keep stuffing grease in the hub until it's up to my arm pits, then I back it off to my elbows.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
For a coaster brake hub, twice a year, or when the brake starts getting grabby. Any wheel bearing grease is good, but I use synthetic. I just keep stuffing grease in the hub until it's up to my arm pits, then I back it off to my elbows.
You make an excellent point all though in a cutting up kinda way biknut, I also say the most important thing about using any grease in the hubs or bearings on a bike is quantity..... reguardless of quality, getting the grease (PACKED) into the hub and bearings is the most important thing, even if the grease is the best made for the application if you only put a dab of it on the bearings it wont last long.

Map

kiteman

Apr 22, 2013
port aransas ,tx
my climate is salt and sand. Metal dissolves pretty much as soon as you get it home. I've now had 3 china girls and 1 grubee 4stroke on several frames. all have had no grease on wheels when I got them. I'm a hand slap bearing greaser myself. I use marvel red grease. then wash it every other day or two with a quick spray of pb blaster when chain needs a hit.
After the huffy cranbrook axle locked up on the way home ( the bearing cages dissolved due to beach sand and salty climate)I have had no luck sourcing the bearings replacements. The local shops are price point minded and refuse to order parts for us motor heads. (one only sells loose ball bearings , and the other is a giant fat tire shop who hates us!!).
Is there a bearing size that is cruiser specific (huffy,firm strg,micrg....) 26 or 29 inch wheel that comes stock on new frames.
ALSO WHERE DO YALL SOURCE YOUR REPLACEMENTS?
Has anyone had any luck with uncaged ball bearings ?
it seems to be a little sketchy given the dust cover on my bikes are removed for sprocket install.
Thanks for your thoughts or advice on this matter

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Kiteman I live in the opposite climate as you. Mojave Desert... Hot, dry, dusty, and wind. Nothing rusts at all. Risingsunn runs a bare metal frame, no rust... The 3 to 4 months of 100+ degree temps 24- 7 is the real problem. My home faces south and beginning now through September temps in the garage will reach daily highs of over 140 degrees. Just parked in my garage my bike leaks grease from the head stock to the crank to the wheels!!! So before I even ride my bike the wheel bearings and grease are already hot to start with. Riding in the heat is like riding head on into a torpedo heater running full blast. Forget about pedaling when it is 110 degrees. Moon rides in Vegas are fantastic though...

kiteman

Apr 22, 2013
port aransas ,tx
10-4 on the blast furnace !!
the Gulf water temp keeps us under 110 and for texas that aint bad!!
Thanks for the parts source!!
It looks like a business not a ebay resale site! I need one of those on my books.
Sharks arent bad but the gators and rattlers are getting thick around here!
Keep the rubber side down

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I can't imagine coming around a corner or over a hill and coming face to face with a gator... yikes! I stopped to move a desert tortoise off the road once, and I've had a couple of coyote's cross the road on in front of me. No gators though. lol