super light friction drive for emergency.

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
I would like to build a super small - lightweight friction drive to have in case of emergency. Yesterday I was about 5-8 miles from the shop riding with that s__t eating grin when all of a sudden my bike just died. Out of gas!!!Grrr! So, what if we came up with a small lightweight friction drive unit just for emergency power? What do you guys think?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I took a can of this on my trip to New Mexico......I didn't want to haul a stinky, potentially hazardous fuel can in my trunk. They also have 40:1 mix......at the Home Depot.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is a great thought, Ace. Small and lightweight. Pretty perfect.

Thing that is a real bummer about 4 strokes is even if you remove the drive chain/belt, it is still not fun to try and pedal. Even worse with the larger ones. Be crazy expensive but was thinking an E-wheel with a solar panel just to keep the batt topped up.

Not at all cost effective but same idea. Your thinking makes a lot more sense.
I really, really hate pushing a bike home.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I always substitute an emergency powerplant with a cell phone with some of my buddies #'s that have a pickup...........hmmmm.......did I remember to charge that sucker??!! :D

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I would like to build a super small - lightweight friction drive to have in case of emergency. Yesterday I was about 5-8 miles from the shop riding with that s__t eating grin when all of a sudden my bike just died. Out of gas!!!Grrr! So, what if we came up with a small lightweight friction drive unit just for emergency power? What do you guys think?
www.ShuttleBuddy.com makes a friction drive that you can carry in your back pack and can install in a jiffy.

25 cc at 3.5 HP so they scream too. I rode one at the races and it was a blast
at 14,000 rpm..... :D

they cost about $800 and are mainly sold to down hill mountain bike guys that spend a lot more than that on their bikes.

so how about just making your ride reliable? :)

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
You can only make these Chinese pot metal kits so reliable. I was thinking something on the lines of something kinda like this drill powered kit
http://www.dpxsystems.com/drill-powered-bike-toolbox-wheelchair-hd/
That's pretty cool, but come on, how long is that battery going to last.

As MBR stated, spend the money and make your ride more dependable. Breaking down has happened to all of us - It's just the learning curve that we all experience. Once you fine turn your engine and add some quality parts to the bike and engine, it's all good. Carry a phone and have a plan.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
I understand that drill setup its not what we need but the idea of having like a 20 cc friction drive on the back lifted up would be nice. I've been building the 2 strokes for years and one thing I do know is that they can break at any point. This is my latest bike.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
When I break which is very very rare, I just pedal, walk, pedal, walk until I get home, since fall of 2009 I've had to do this only three times best I can remember and I have several thousand miles on my bikes so I don't think that is to bad and two of the three times happened in the last month, one was do to running out of gas about a mile from home and the other was due to a bad CDI.

Map

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
what about a friction drive that hooked up to a rechargeable drill? maybe have drill and two batteries on board? heck its an idea.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
what about a friction drive that hooked up to a rechargeable drill? maybe have drill and two batteries on board? heck its an idea.
Seen a fella on youtube riding around in a parking lot with a friction drive made with a Makita drill.

That would be very easy to build

Draw backs would be cost of batteries and short life of charge, Lithium batteries would last longest and work best, I use drills with Lithium batteries and the batteries cost $100 each plus at least that much for just the drill.

For that money I'd just buy a dax friction drive set up and put a cheap ebay bought pocket bike or scooter engine on it. All that can be had for qround $200 and could run the same fuel as the china girl.

Map
.wee.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I think what Toker Ace is asking for here is thoughts on a redundant system/back up plan sort of build. Never a bad thought to have insurance.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A bit off the track, but I've been thinking the last few years that small cars should have a small electric motor on the back axle with a battery or two, even if it only does 10 or 15 mph- for parking lots and drive-throughs and traffic jams- be great in a breakdown- at least get the car off the road and maybe to a shop even-

it's not rocket science- I think the oil company conglomerate stands in the way of such progress.

Breakdowms aren't a problem here- my bike set up with narrow 700C wheels and tires pedals better than a whole bunch of people's normal bikes. I'm rarely more than three miles from home because most of my riding is for local errands.

Started thinking about that electric motor on the back a few years back when I was driving the Festiva below- I could push it around anywhere except uphilll with the motor off- so it wouldn't take much to move it with electric. Had the back seat out of it and LOTS of space back there.

Once rolled it a couple miles down into Needles CA without even starting the motor.

Attachments

Last edited: