Building a mono-shock frame to mount any size tire or engine.

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm gonna start focusing on the crux of all my motorized bicycle misery, the bike frame itself. My next frame will be built from the tube up to my specs. Not Huffy's, Schwinn's, Felt's, etc.

1) 4130 Chromoly.

2) 6+ inches between the rear dropouts to mount any width wheel up to 4.5".

3) A massive triangle area up front to house any engine up to 212cc without needing custom made engine mounts.

4) Box swing-arm rear with a single adjustable coil-over shock mounted completely outside of the front triangle of the frame.

5) Oversized top and down tubes.

6) Built-on carrier rack, mounted to swing-arm capable of carrying 150+ lbs. load.

7) B1tch Pad Seat attached to carrier rack and fold-able foot pegs attached somewhere.

CA § 21204. Seating of persons riding bicycle

(a) No person operating a bicycle upon a highway shall ride other than upon or astride a permanent and regular seat attached thereto.

(b) No operator shall allow a person riding as a passenger, and no person shall ride as a passenger, on a bicycle upon a highway other than upon or astride a separate seat attached thereto.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Who is building the frame?
Looking forward to seeing any progress and the finished bike.
I am, as soon as I take ownership of a MIG welder.
I would just as soon not have to to build it myself but I can't find anything remotely close to what I want, except maybe a full blown motorcycle frame, but I still want it to have working pedals.....even if I never actually use them. Motorcycle frames are just overkill, not mention the cost.

There will be lots of pics. I'm done building motorized bicycles after only one. LOL
No sense in continuing down that road until I have a bike frame I'm happy with. A bike frame that can swallow potholes and anything else at speed and spit them right back out.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
My bike frame will be loosely based on the 2012 Felt MP frame. Tube angles will be very similar. The triangle area of the frame will be larger to accommodate large engines using conventional motor mounts and without having to mount them at crazy angles to get them to fit inside. The Felt is too small by mere inches.

The back half of the frame will look nothing like the Felt. It will resemble a full blown motorcycle box swing-arm with a built-on monster carrier rack capable of carrying a normal size adult woman or anything else you can imagine. Key word being "normal size". LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
i got a few swingarms with shocks sitting around. pm me
As soon as I finish the front half of the frame I'll see if you still have any swing-arms left.
Are they narrow enough though cause the bike chain will never clear the arm if it is thicker than the freewheel?

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
GO TO IT MIKE

can't wait to see what you do given i am so impressed with your hybrid --
your ingenuity in having figured that all out

will you make it to willow this saturday???

best always

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
GO TO IT MIKE

i have finally begun to slice and dice with splice being a key component
i will see what comes of it all going the scrounge up materials given so much of conventional bike frame- seat post- etc are odd ball sized and not available at a few of the bigger tubing wholesalers i have visited on alameda blvd in thicknesses i think are required

can't wait to see what you do given i am so impressed with your hybrid --
your ingenuity in having figured that all out

will you make it to willow this saturday???

best always
I gotta get some rear suspension on my bike and some massively wide tires to roll on. I do not want to be limited by what size engine or tires I can install just because they won't physically fit the frame.

Actually my bike is more reliable than my car at the moment. Willow is outside the range of my car in the summer or I'd be there. My bike has more miles than my car since I've had it if you can believe that. LOL

I took a ride on my bike straight up Robertson through the heart of Beverly Hills then went straight up La Cienega all the way to Sunset Blvd without pedaling a stroke Sunday. La Cienega is almost vertical after you cross Santa Monica Blvd. It was a slow go but I made it to the top. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
sorry you won't make willow

if i had a truck registered and insured at the moment i would give you a lift if you wanted
No biggy. I'd take you up on it. I still have to get a motorcycle rack to carry my bike. I already have the tow hitch.

Next up on my To Buy list is a pair of Halo Contra's. I've got some Tubeless Valve Stems I gotta stick in them, cause I'm going TUBELESS. It's gonna be Tube Free for me. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
sorry you won't make willow

if i had a truck registered and insured at the moment i would give you a lift if you wanted
The whole motor bolted to a bicycle is a great idea. It's how motorcycles evolved, but for real world, every day driving, as a viable alternative to car or motorcycle, it has a lot to be desired, for me anyway, driving the streets of L.A.. Beverly Hills streets are a whole different story. I couldn't see an imperfection on any of their streets, no matter how hard I looked. Even the manhole covers were flush with the rest of the road. I was in motorized bicycle Heaven. LOL

I'm gonna build a bike frame to handle the 3rd World, Post-Apocalyptic conditions of streets in Los Angeles. I just never realized how bad the conditions were until I had already finished my hybrid and rode it.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Hmm..other than the mono shock...a whizzer ambassador does about all you are trying to do.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Take it to PM if you must, lets not ruin a member's thread with such irrelevant arguments.

Thread cleaned, any additional insult/bickering will result in punitive action.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
easy barely

I get a little edgy when I am over tired --take a nap

just a little good clean fun no reason to over react

thread is a good friend's and I am sure he was enjoying some action

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
sorry norm for my oversight