what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I remade the exhaust for my cruiser today.

A little background.. A couple of things worked out for us recently, which allowed me to take advantage of "Black Friday". First off, I got a nice little wire feed welder for around 40% of it's normal price (and a couple of other things, of course). Then went and got a short bottle of cougar 25 welding gas for it. I hit Princess Auto (which is similar to Harbour Freight) and picked up an assortment of stuff including a tube bending kit.

I picked up a brand new 12' long piece of 3/4" conduit at the local Habitat for Humanity Restore for $1 to play with.

So anyway, first off I had to get an idea of what the pipe between the expansion chamber and muffler had to be shaped like. Along comes an old friend of mine from years ago when I was a draftsman, a flexible curve:

Flexible curve - great for making curves.jpg

Once I had an idea of what I needed, I bent some conduit to match (this is the tube bending kit and curve's package is there):

Flexible curve, bending kit and bent conduit.jpg

So, I pulled the expansion pipe from the bike with the intent of attaching the exhaust pipe. Something was loose and rattling inside the chamber, though, so I had to cut it open. Turns out there was a tube with a 'cap' tack welded on it that might once have been tacked to the stem at the exit of the chamber. Got rid of it and welded the tip back on the chamber. Also had to reweld the last four inches or so of the bottom seam on the chamber, too. Then I attached the new pipe to the chamber, and the muffler to the end of the new pipe. My welds aren't pretty, but for the first welding I've done in around 2 decades they could be worse.

New exhaust - left side view.jpg

New exhaust - top view.jpg

I got as far as fitting it up before I ran out of time to work with. The bend needs a tweak, it's not quite clear of the crank, and I need to make up a few hanger brackets. With luck I'll get to them soon.

New exhaust in place.jpg

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks GearNut

Got it all sorted out today. A small tweak to each curve got it clear of the crank. My mistake was measuring my curve from the tip of the expansion chamber, then welding the new piece on at the end of the chamber. The tip extends 3/4" past there. The original plan was to put a bracket on the end of the chamber and one on the pipe to bolt them together, but I was having too much fun throwing arcs so they got welded.

Anyway, I had to make some hangers. I went with a 3 piece design, a loop over the chainstay, a straight piece, and a loop around the pipe.

Here's the finished result:

New exhaust installed.jpg

The next thing it's getting will be a reed valve (got to look them up shortly).

This is what it sounded like with just the expansion chamber attached.

This is what it sounds like with the completed exhaust pipe installed. (I discovered after recording that the exhaust studs needed another half turn or so since it had warmed up so it was making a small drip under the port).

Just a little difference. I didn't adjust the idle screw between shots, honest.

Got to take it out for a spin, it's supposed to rain tomorrow, it should be better Wednesday or Thursday.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
when on a ride late this evening, put a new speedometer on the Moon dog Kulana, locked the front break while rounding a corner and went down hard on the rough rocky dirt road, tore up my knee and my right hand a bit, but bike is fine and I'll be a bit sore for a few days I'm sure but I still bounce pretty good.....LOL!

dang little rubber dust cover on the brake cable hung when I pulled the break lever didn't know what it was so I squeezed the lever harder and when it come loose it instantly locked my front brake and the rest was a quick trip straight to the ground...... oh yeah it was fun...LOL!

Map

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
So getting back to the subject of this thread did you call your bike names, kick it or something? Or is crashing "what you did to your m /b today "! Just joking I'm glad you are not hurt bad.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Remember Map its not the crash that hurts its the sudden stop or how you land. I speak from experience, I went down on a trail bike at not more than 15 mph on my left shoulder in 2008. After three days in icu and two more in the hospital and a 71k bill Ive been trying to land right!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
So getting back to the subject of this thread did you call your bike names, kick it or something? Or is crashing "what you did to your m /b today "! Just joking I'm glad you are not hurt bad.
No bad names, bout the worst youl'll hear out of me is typical southern slang words like Dad gum-it, gosh dang-it, Dad Blasted........etc...!

I did hobble around a bit, and before I looked at my own injuries I was up trying to get the bike picked up and looking to see if I caused any damage to it, clutch handle needed rotating back into place and a bit of dusting off was all that was needed.

I'm getting a bit stiff in the scraped up knee already and my shoulder is tweaked a bit along with a nice gash in the palm of my right hand, but I wasn't raised a wussy so unless a bone is sticking out somewhere I just regroup and go again.

Gonna get some nice riding in tomorrow though sore or not, got the bike loaded in back of my F150, gotta take truck into town to have front brake rotors trued up and new pads installed, its a truck the has to have the rotors turned while still on the vehicle so I cant do the job myself.... I'll drop truck off at 8am in morning and then cruise across town to my moms house and hang out there until they get it finished for me, just a few mile ride and my exhaust is very loud on this bike so it may be interesting......

Map

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
when on a ride late this evening, put a new speedometer on the Moon dog Kulana, locked the front break while rounding a corner and went down hard on the rough rocky dirt road, tore up my knee and my right hand a bit, but bike is fine and I'll be a bit sore for a few days I'm sure but I still bounce pretty good.....LOL!

dang little rubber dust cover on the brake cable hung when I pulled the break lever didn't know what it was so I squeezed the lever harder and when it come loose it instantly locked my front brake and the rest was a quick trip straight to the ground...... oh yeah it was fun...LOL!

Map
Glad your ok bud! Dang brakes lol.

Dan.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
CTripps,

I'd like to see how that conduit pipe works out for you. Couple weeks ago I was talking with my buddy about his exhaust and suggested conduit as he has every and any piece of it at his shop (master electrician). Anyways, he told me that the way conduit is made it can't stand up to exhaust temps, something about the way it's rolled and soldered. Your piece is further down the pipe so I'm curious.

Also, and Im as noob as noob can be but the diameter of the pipe you used seems pretty small, interested in your review on performance.

And let me finish by saying kudos to you, great job and it looks awesome!

Dan.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Glad your ok bud! Dang brakes lol.

Dan.
The pic I included shows the hand damage and the knee is this x3 but it's just a scratch compared to some of the spills some of our buds here on the forum have endured, Bairdco and Tom aka 2door are the first two names that come to mind.

Thanks for the love bro.

Map

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Danshutz, I have had great results using conduit as exhaust. I have used it right against the flange and never had any heat issues or failures. I use the galvanized electrical stuff that's easy to bend and weld, although it is nasty stuff to weld. Be sure to only weld it in a well ventilated area. The smoke from it can cause SERIOUS health issues.
It's easier to bend conduit to fit than it is to piece bends together from handlebar chunks. Less welding too!
Here's a pic of the latest low pipe for The Pig.

(No conduit in this one since I only needed one bend)

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
CTripps,

I'd like to see how that conduit pipe works out for you. Couple weeks ago I was talking with my buddy about his exhaust and suggested conduit as he has every and any piece of it at his shop (master electrician). Anyways, he told me that the way conduit is made it can't stand up to exhaust temps, something about the way it's rolled and soldered. Your piece is further down the pipe so I'm curious.

Also, and Im as noob as noob can be but the diameter of the pipe you used seems pretty small, interested in your review on performance.

And let me finish by saying kudos to you, great job and it looks awesome!

Dan.
Thanks Dan, I'm happy with how it turned out. Early test riding around the block and up and down the back lane feels good. If or when I run into problems I'll be sure to post about it. I'm hoping not to, but that's not the way (my) life works. I got the idea of using conduit from the forums here, so we'll see how it goes.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Danshutz, I have had great results using conduit as exhaust. I have used it right against the flange and never had any heat issues or failures. I use the galvanized electrical stuff that's easy to bend and weld, although it is nasty stuff to weld. Be sure to only weld it in a well ventilated area. The smoke from it can cause SERIOUS health issues.
It's easier to bend conduit to fit than it is to piece bends together from handlebar chunks. Less welding too!
Nice job, I like how you hung the muffler from the tensioner bracket.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Map
Sorry to hear it Map, make sure you keep those scrapes clean. Glad you'll only be walking funny for a week or so, it doesn't take much to be a lot worse.

I've noticed the rubber dust covers on my cruiser's brakes don't like to stay put, maybe I'll take a look at getting rid of them.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Had to think about this for a second, then I actually busted out laughing!!

Shan, glad it wasn't any worse -- I know that I certainly take longer to heal than I used to.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Sorry to hear it Map, make sure you keep those scrapes clean. Glad you'll only be walking funny for a week or so, it doesn't take much to be a lot worse.

I've noticed the rubber dust covers on my cruiser's brakes don't like to stay put, maybe I'll take a look at getting rid of them.
Yep if those little covers get hard you better replace or just cut them off, the ones on mine caused my low speed belly flop in the rocks......I just put a dab of hard grease around where the cable goes in to keep dust and moisture out, dont need those boots for now until I can find some soft replacements.

Yep I got a bit of a hobble going on along with a sore shoulder.....lol!

Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Had to think about this for a second, then I actually busted out laughing!!

Shan, glad it wasn't any worse -- I know that I certainly take longer to heal than I used to.
Thanks..... and yes along with adding a new speedometer what I did to my bike yesterday was crash it........lol!

Yeah Greg58 made a funny.....!

Map
.wee.

Chicocaliguy

Dec 17, 2013
Chico, California
Hello!

I have been reading for a few hours now, and cannot believe how much information and support is on this forum.
I just got my SD Stinger Engine Kit in the mail today and I bought a Schwinn Del Mar (walmart version). Has anybody heard anything good/bad about this combination?

Thanks,
~Logan