Is EPA shutting down 2 strokes?

GoldenMotor.com

pedalchopper

May 9, 2010
Ft Myers beach Florida
Someone said no 2 strokes for 2010 - that EPA is stopping [import/] to states?

Any truth in that?

Very interested in finding out the truth...

Looking for Good price on grubee gt5's - if anyone has some contact me = Thanks!

Jim

jlew

Jun 7, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
I can't say for sure but I find it unlikely because of how many 2 strokes are used in lawn equipment and low end boat engines. It seems like too big a market to just shut down.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Seriously do a search on google for "EPA banning 2 cycle imports" and 95% of the results will come from here and other MB forum sites

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/re-2-cycle-engine-embargo-19440.html
The EPA doesn't do "embargos" or even "ban" engine types - they regulate emission laws with the primary impact effecting new, registered vehicles such as those for marine use (2 stroke outboards).

EVERY year we get the same panic story, EVERY year we ask for concrete proof - any actual substantiation for the rumors generated by a few unscrupulous four-stroke vendors, EVERY year we get nothing but more rumors and hearsay... yet the engines are always still available.

It's true the supply dwindles and the price goes up about this time of year - but that's got much more to do with the summer riding season and supply and demand than anything else. I suspect were any of this founded in fact - actual proof (copies of EPA regulation, licensing, tariffs, etc.) would be posted all over the net, yet there's nothing but rumor.

Instead what we get is this: EPA ban two-stroke - Google Search - with the same old panic every year like clockwork for at least the past decade with the US Environmental Protection Agency itself saying nothing at all...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, one guy (a 4 stroke dealer) told me they were killing off the two strokes and tried very hard to prove his case, but then again I just had another dealer of several types tell me he just got a large shipment in....so judge for yourself. When the supply REALLY starts to dry up, then I would worry about it. But for now, just ride.