exhaust what do you think?

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I have a tuned pipe, great power but too noisy. Am going to leave that bike alone.
The other bike has pretty much a standard exhaust. Today I replaced it with a larger tube & matched port. On the end of the tube I have two standaed HT mufflers IN PARRALLEL NOT IN SERIES. My thinking is that back pressure will be reduced but noise will not increase. Won't get to try it till the snow goes, what do you think the effect will be?

Attachments

Last edited:

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
I think you will lose a tiny bit of torque on the bottom end of the rev range and gain a little more rev on the top end(if the carb can keep up)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The main problem with the stock pipes is that they are quiet enough, but they are very restrictive!!! Having two of them should be just as quiet & have a much better flow! (which means more power!! ;) )

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I think that as the outlet on a stock can is less than 1/2 the size of the inlet - havin' two will reduce restriction o_O

warner

Jun 5, 2008
ELGIN, IL
IF the single muffler was restrictive, then some of the exhaust gasses will look for the path of lesser resistance and flow through the top muffler which will give you a bit more top end (again assuming that the exhaust was a bottleneck for "breathing").

I don't think it will be any quieter, COULD end up being louder. I don't expect you'd lose ANY low end torque....unless the single muffer was SO restrictive that it wasn't flowing enough even at low revs.

Two stroke exhausts are SO important to how the engine operates (eg - backpressure, scavenging, harmonics....), that just about anything can happen when you start messing with pipe lengths and mufflers, etc...

Give it a try and post your results back here....should be an interesting experiment!

Warner

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Ausped,
You could be right, however the exhaust pipe was also increased in dia. and match ported. I am going with the general response that there will some increase in power overall(nowhere near the increase you would get with a tuned pipe). I have a tuned pipe on one bike but doubt that the neighbors enjoy it as much as I do!
So what I am hoping for is a middle ground. There is going to be a cold weather tri state rally from Ma.to Nh. to Maine next week so I will be firing it up. Will post the results be it good/bad or no change! Still it has been a fun experiment.

Attachments

Last edited:

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Total unprofessional speculation here, but, it would seem the exhaust gases and associated sound waves now have two avenues of escape. Neither muffler will be under the same pressure or work load of a single stock muffler. My guess would be a decrease in emitted sound waves. Also as previously noted with two exits available the back pressure should be decreased roughly two fold. It would be out of my range of knowledge to speculate on performance changes. I too am very curious about your results.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
The good part of this is, once it is driven for a while and I believe that their is a differance. It is easy to plug one muffler and see if it was just the larger dia. exhaust pipe or the mufflers. the next test would be to alternate pluging the mufflers and see if their is a differance between them.

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
what i was trying to get across is that fumes of any sort will never turn a corner willingly that pipe on the side will act more as a pressure relese

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Ausped,
I HVAC systems, sometimes a small scoop is extended into the main trunk line for a branch(robber) for just that reason. However who knows if in this setup if it would help or hurt. Both mufflers are used, no idea which has the most restriction. I am totaly in agreement with the principal.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Well, fueled it up and took her for a spin. Cold out 33 Deg. Motor started right up(pull start). Let it warm up and off me and my new muffler system went. No need pedel, there was an increase in low end tourque. The most noticable change was the sound, much diffrent! It has a much lower sound and pitch, unlike the normal 2 cycle sound. I would guess that the tourque increase is between 5-11%. I do not yet know if this tourque increase is due to the mufflers as it now has a larger port matched exhaust pipe.
I do know the sound change is the mufflers and I would have been happy with just that.
I spent most of the time checking out the bike itself preparing for mondays tri-state run.
This motor does not however have the power that my tuned pipe motor does. I feel the small effort was worth it.
Thanks all for your input.

Russ

Last edited:

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
I like the Panniers.. How'd you do those?

You are full of so many ideas.

I am picking up and XL OCC next week, and I have decided that is going to be the new project OCC, and have the other 5 as backups.

I am thinking of stripping one of them down and getting it powder coated pink for the wife as she is into that kinda stuff (all pink crap).

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
my end cap fell off the exhaust pipe.who sells the end cap only?
Hey adam, welcome to the forum my fellow Arizonanan.

As far as I know nobody just sells the end cap, most just make one.

Hmmmm, I know we have some threads about making them, I will post them as soon as I find um.