flyinghorse 5g carb choke handle loose !

GoldenMotor.com

skills4u

Jul 9, 2014
nashville
For some reason my 49cc Huasheng choke handle is so loose, vibrations while running causes it to fluctuate.The choke handle used to be firm and stayed where I put it. I thought it might have a broken spring, but can not locate one, nore find one in any parts list.. Any thoughts ??

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
How old is your engine?
I went out and looked at my choke lever again.
There is no spring involved in the assembly.
The lever itself is plastic. There is a sort of a ramp or guide that is molded into the side of the base on it. A pin sticks up out of the top of the carburetor body that follows this guide/ ramp.
At either end of the guide is a recess that the pin locks into to hold it in the on or off position.
The only tension that holds the pin and guide together and provides the necessary friction is the flexing of the plastic that the lever is made out of.
I guess that either the plastic on yours has worn down to where the friction is no longer enough to hold the recesses snugly against the pin or the choke shaft pivots have worn to where the shaft fits too loosely in them.
As for a fix, try a spring mounted somehow to hold the choke in the open position.
Make the spring work in a fashion to allow you to unhook it to allow the choke to move into the choked or start position, then you can flip it to the run position and hook the spring back onto it.

The only other idea I have is that the plastic lever has somehow worked itself loose on the end of the choke shaft. I have never tried to take mine apart to see how that is attached.

skills4u

Jul 9, 2014
nashville
Thanks for the reply Gearnut.

The engine is fairly new, but the carb is about a year old.
I will take a look at the choke handle from the inside of the carb one of the days. I hate taking things apart on these engines as it seems I always break something in the process. The bolts on these things are cheap ! Any recommendations on where to get higher quality ones ?

skills4u

Jul 9, 2014
nashville
yes it is. On mine I can raise and lower it about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, so I was thinking of cutting a rubber washer and sliding it under.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you can raise or lower the lever more than a hair's thickness there is something horribly wrong with the assembly.
Remove the air cleaner element and look inside the throat of the carburetor. Use a flashlight and mirror if necessary. If there is anything loose with the choke plate and shaft do not operate the engine!!!
If a screw, rivet or what not gets drawn inside the engine the engine will get trashed in a hurry!
If it turns out that the plastic lever has come loose on the choke shaft consider yourself lucky. That is not so bad as that is a external problem and there is nothing that can get unexpectedly drawn inside the engine, only a hassle operating the choke.

skills4u

Jul 9, 2014
nashville
That is my next move, only problem is that I have to remove the engine to be able to get the filter cover off ! will post when I get to it. thanks for the advice. :)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Just to clarify, you don't need to remove the whole air box, just the removable cover and the foam element inside of it. Sorry if this was already obvious to you.