What to do 1 week vacation to hilly area?

GoldenMotor.com

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Ok, here's my dilema. Currently have two bikes with huasheng 49cc matted to 80 tooth 4G trans. Tops out at around 34 mph. Perfect for my area, but am going to Wildwood mo for a week, beautiful hilly area with a lot of wooded landscape backroads. Without much expense, what would be my best solution to modify the bikes for mostly hilly terrain? Giving up top speed is no problem, as the slower speed to enjoy the scenery is what I'm after.
Thanks in advance for all replies..

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
The 80 tooth 4G trans is 4 to 1 reduction, I believe 10 tooth output. 48 tooth rear sprocket. That's off the top of my head, hope I'm not wrong.

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
You can replace your 80T with a 100T. You would need the 570 length belt that fits the 100T as well. This will change the gearbox from a 4:1 to a 5:1. Not the biggest change but it is really quick and easy to do.

You can also just go huge on the rear sprocket. Kings sales and service will custom make any sprocket size you want, you will just need a longer chain to go with it.

I'm not sure how much the custom sprockets are at kings, the cost should be relatively close. You can get more reduction with the sprocket, but it is much more work especially if you are using the standard rag joint.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
I wish I could just get the 100 tooth sprocket. But as far as I can tell, the shaft on the 80 tooth will not work, nor the cover. So I would also have to get the shaft, 12t sprocket and cover. I would probably do so if I knew for sure that would be all that was needed. I think the cost we about $69 for each bike.
Although complete 100 tooth trans is $109 each, and swap would be so much easier.
At any rate, I adjusted the valves on the very loose side, brought my torque range down to the lower side of the rpm range. Tried these settings on some hills, helped alot. Hills I couldn't hold rpm and speed before held, and hills that held rpm and speed now it will accelerate up. I didn't add power by adjusting the valves, I just put the power to where I need it the most. Cruising is actually better on flats and slight inclines now, since I don't run wide open alot, having the torque curve in the mid to higher rpm was useless to me. So I will just keep the valve settings on the loose side even after the trip since it fits my riding style.

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
I wish I could just get the 100 tooth sprocket. But as far as I can tell, the shaft on the 80 tooth will not work, nor the cover. So I would also have to get the shaft, 12t sprocket and cover.
Yes, you would need the cover as well. Forgot to mention because most people that I have spoken with usually go the other way from a 100T pulley to an 80T and the cover works for both:). Both of our solid 80T and 100T pulleys have the same inner diameter and fit on the output shaft of either gearbox. However, if you are running a pulley with the one-way bearing then you would lose the freewheel operation. There are 100T one-way bearing pulleys available if needed, but I don't recommend the one-way bearings in any setup.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Kings Sales and Service is no longer in business from what I understand, I know someone who order a sprocket a while back and after months of waiting, no one would answer the phone or emails he had files a claim through paypal and finally got his money back.

thatsdax has several sprockets for the rear wheel that will be just the ticket if you are running the rag joint set up, all the way up to a 60T rear.

http://thatsdax.com/ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_2.html

If you are running the manic type sprocket adapter then I would check with Pirate Cycles they have a good selection of larger sprockets all the way up to a huge 66T but also have a 56T and a 62T, I'm gonna say that a 56T rear will probably get you to where you want to be on your bikes.

http://www.piratecycles1.com/picycusp.html

Best wishes

Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well after looking at your bikes I can see that probably neither of the suggestions I offered in previous post will help you since you dont use either of the most common type sprocket set ups for the rear wheel.

again though best wishes WSuxxx

Map

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Kings Sales and Service is still in business. I just ordered a 46 tooth sprocket and top hat adapter, adapter came in today and sprocket came in last week

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
excellent, I didnt know he was still in business either, I know a fella that that ordered a sprocket last year, emails were not answered adfter several weeks of not receiving the sprocket, he finally got a sprocket after pay pal was contacted to file a claim, problem is the sprocket he was sent wasnt the sprocket he had ordered.

now this is what I was told and did not see any of this first hand so I cant help but have ??? s about it so it may have just been a misunderstanding that wasnt being handled respectfully by this guy and that may be why Andy was not wanting to deal with him.

I have a very nice 34T sprocket I bought from Andy several hears ago, very nice sprocket and the best looking one I have no doubt.

thanks for letting us know Kings sales and service is still goin strong....!

sorry for my post in ignorance fellas.

map