Faster is safer. What are my options for a bit more speed?

GoldenMotor.com

AmericanRoadwarrior

Nov 28, 2013
Boston, MA USA
I'm in the process of purchasing and receiving motor and parts for a first build in Puerto Rico.

I've already received my turbobuick chain tensioner and my Cree 5000 lumen Headlight and these parts look great.

A concern of mine is the aggressive drivers in Puerto Rico.

The first likely safety issue is going to be not being able to keep up with 35-40mph traffic on twisting turning hilly roads without much of a shoulder.

So my question is this:

What fairly simple mods can be done to achieve greater speed on a 26" Beach Cruiser with a 66cc motor?

Smaller rear sprocket?

If so, I'll likely need a chain breaker, correct?

Keeping in mind I am currently 250 lbs.

I appreciate all input!

Thank you, Eric, the americanroadwarrior

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Smaller sprocket and a tuned pipe are the first mods you should consider.
Be aware the stock engines are not meant to run 40mph regularly and will be less reliable if run all out.
I get about 30-35 mph without any trouble and I have done these mods.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a small sprocket might not get you up hilly roads - get out & take a look at conditions on roads you're likely to be traveling on, and pay attention to how folks on non-motorized bikes handle traffic on those roads

AmericanRoadwarrior

Nov 28, 2013
Boston, MA USA
Smaller sprocket and a tuned pipe are the first mods you should consider.
Be aware the stock engines are not meant to run 40mph regularly and will be less reliable if run all out.
I get about 30-35 mph without any trouble and I have done these mods.
I have to admit I haven't even looked in to what "break-in" requirements are.

I imagine a tuned pipe is an aftermarket pipe that delivers higher power and speed?

I'll run a search on that.

Thanks, Eric

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have to admit I haven't even looked in to what "break-in" requirements are.

I imagine a tuned pipe is an aftermarket pipe that delivers higher power and speed?

I'll run a search on that.

Thanks, Eric
Do your searching here on forum with search feature.

Sickbikepparts is best choice for shift kit, they also have simplest and easyest to install expansion exhaust.

Two vendors k on forum sell what many of uw consider to be the very best choice for the engine that with only some simple mods can have you cruising at 40mph.

Best wishes
Map

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
Two simple hacks to give you more speed: Smaller rear sprocket, and remove the muffler cap (gonna be loud tho). Boost bottle can help, and last but not least, a Nitro kit from bikeberry.

Just remember one thing. Most recreational bicycles aren't designed to go faster than 20 - 25mph MAX. You can exceed those speeds with these china girls, but is the risk worth it?

Safety is paramount... Good luck with your build.

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
One more thing... a jackshaft kit will allow you to channel the power from the motor to your bike's main sprocket. You won't need the adapter sprocket since it uses your bike default chain and gears. And yes you will be able to change gears. But again, do you want to go that fast on a frame and with parts that weren't certified for speeds beyond 25 mph?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
there's a ton of performance mods you can find on this forum. just keep looking. also, don't take the poster's word at face value. take a look at what they've actually achieved before you go spending money or hacking up your engine.

and like stated above, the key safety feature is the bike itself. a 250 pound guy can put a lot of stress on any bicycle, and a cheap bike that goes fast is a recipe for disaster.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
there's a ton of performance mods you can find on this forum. just keep looking. also, don't take the poster's word at face value. take a look at what they've actually achieved before you go spending mondey or hacking up your engine.

and like stated above, the key safety feature is the bike itself. a 250 pound guy can put a lot of stress on any bicycle, and a cheap bike that goes fast is a recipe for disaster.
Ditto...........!!!!

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
high comp head tunned pipe and a good port and polish !

that with a 40 t rear will give you what you are after !!! the 40t is small enough to give more speed but not soo small you kill your torque, and with the mods above you will be able to rev higher leading to higher top end speed even with a stovk 44 t rear.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Ditto...........!!!!
and this to ... especialy me ... lol, i will tell a newb to rip his motor apart and start grinding at the case and cutting a 3rd transfer port wile simutainiously decking the jug and mathmaticaly computing dynamic comp ! lol lol lol

i get all exited with adhd and go crazy, just take me with a grain of salt, but just understand that through all the rambling and crazy i realy do know what the heck i am talking about and can make a ripper china girl even though my specialty is the honda 4 stroke.

so far i have built 2 china girl bike, bolth were fully modded and bolth are 35-40 mph bikes and this is running a 44 t rear ! the first was a gt5 that i actually tried with all my might for 4 weeks to blow up and failed ! the second is a balance dax 70cc and is just broke in. i have nearly 15 years exp.. building and restoring honda trikes (the atc) and horizontal crf style motors, and i have been motorizing bikes since i was 13 ! i have even built a honda shadow from the ground up ! even though i know all this, it does not mean that i can offer you the best advice, in fact i am soo bad at conveying information that you best not even listen unless you can cut through the crazy and get what i mean lol

the same goes for all here on the board, listen and learn but choose what information you use and from who wizely !

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
and this to ... especialy me ... lol, i will tell a newb to rip his motor apart and start grinding at the case and cutting a 3rd transfer port wile simutainiously decking the jug and mathmaticaly computing dynamic comp ! lol lol lol

i get all exited with adhd and go crazy, just take me with a grain of salt, but just understand that through all the rambling and crazy i realy do know what the heck i am talking about and can make a ripper china girl even though my specialty is the honda 4 stroke.

so far i have built 2 china girl bike, bolth were fully modded and bolth are 35-40 mph bikes and this is running a 44 t rear ! the first was a gt5 that i actually tried with all my might for 4 weeks to blow up and failed ! the second is a balance dax 70cc and is just broke in. i have nearly 15 years exp.. building and restoring honda trikes (the atc) and horizontal crf style motors, and i have been motorizing bikes since i was 13 ! i have even built a honda shadow from the ground up ! even though i know all this, it does not mean that i can offer you the best advice, in fact i am soo bad at conveying information that you best not even listen unless you can cut through the crazy and get what i mean lol

the same goes for all here on the board, listen and learn but choose what information you use and from who wizely !
Lol......! Iknow your pain man......, my wife sling the crazy man with ADHD/ADD at me all the ti me, so I can relate for sure.

Map

AmericanRoadwarrior

Nov 28, 2013
Boston, MA USA
there's a ton of performance mods you can find on this forum. just keep looking. also, don't take the poster's word at face value. take a look at what they've actually achieved before you go spending money or hacking up your engine.

A lot of great posts. Thank you to everyone!

What's coming to mind at the moment is imagining a bit of the best of both types of bicycles.

What I'm picturing would be a great build (with next year in mind) would be a heavy solid (but cheap!) Beach Cruiser Bicycle (with it's heavy gauge frame and beefy wheels and tires) or even a cheap mountain bike, but with gears (rear), and one of these kits that transfers the drive to the bicycle's original front sprocket.

I wonder if maybe those old type 3 speed types with the internal hub mechanics would handle the strain. If not what first came to mind is your typical 5 or 6 rear sprocket gearing with a derailer.

I completely agree, bairdco, these bicycles were not made with these speeds in mind.

After looking at various options for speed, being a bit overwhelmed, I'm likely going to stick to my 95% stock China Girl/Huffy Cranbrook build with added turbobuick spring loaded chain tensioner and keep a very sharp eye on my rear view mirror in an attempt not to get in faster traffic's way.

Thank you all, Eric the Roadwarrior

AmericanRoadwarrior

Nov 28, 2013
Boston, MA USA
a jackshaft kit will allow you to channel the power from the motor to your bike's main sprocket. You won't need the adapter sprocket since it uses your bike default chain and gears. And yes you will be able to change gears.
Okay, I'm now getting the JACKSHAFT bug.

Something tells me if I bought a bicycle with gears instead of just a beach cruiser this might be the way to go.

Another thing to consider is that I'm not too concerned about the law in Puerto Rico as they seem to be pretty lax down there.

I'll have to make up my mind rather fast now if I'm going to purchase this and have it delivered before I leave on the 19th.

I guess one thing I'm wondering is how difficult this now becomes to now add a JackShaft kit and switch to a bike with gears.

I AM very mechanically inclined.

AmericanRoadwarrior

Nov 28, 2013
Boston, MA USA
Another concern now is the shifting mechanism on a mountain bike interfering with the installation of a throttle.

I'm looking at a Huffy Superia 26'' Mens Bike for $87 bucks at KMart and this bike has a "thumb shifter".

I wonder if this works, I imagine it might.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm questioning your idea that "Faster is Safer". As a statement of fact without anything to back it up it is utter nonsense. Without better tires/wheels, brakes, stronger frame the opposite is true. Faster is more dangerous. These are bicycles being asked to become light motorcycles which they were not designed for. If we want to make them into light motorcycles then we need to be concerned with upgrading/ transforming the whole machine and not just focusing on how to make them go faster. It is simple, really. Put the biggest motor on it you can make work, say a prayer and take off. And good luck.

At the risk of sounding like a crusty old fart (which I am), focus on the whole bike and keeping yourself safe. If you want to go fast, then do it and have fun. But broken bones and hospitals are not fun. There is a great temptation to buy a cheap fat tired cruiser from a department store... see that you can buy a 212cc four stroke on sale for a hundred bucks and imagine that you can make it into an inexpensive light motorcycle. In my opinion that is an illusion.

By all means build a motorized bike. But keep it reasonable, upgrade the whole bike and stay safe.
SB

AmericanRoadwarrior

Nov 28, 2013
Boston, MA USA
I'm questioning your idea that "Faster is Safer". As a statement of fact without anything to back it up it is utter nonsense.
SB
I want to go just fast enough to keep up with local 35-40mph traffic on dangerous twisting turning hilly roads with no shoulder in Puerto Rico where the drivers tend to be quite ignorant and aggressive.

Believe me, fast enough will be safer.

And I have posted about a heavier framed and wheeled bike.

The thread is titled "faster is safer" for my particular case, and by no means in general.

I'm a 28 year MC biker and have covered 10's of thousands of miles without major incident.

The faster you go the harder you fall.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
As you describe your situation I can agree that keeping up with traffic is a good idea. Whether a motorized bicycle is the best option is questionable. Sounds like a used motorcycle might be a better choice.

Whatever you do, I wish you safe riding!
SB