new motorized bike

GoldenMotor.com

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hi everyone, i am new to this forum and i recently built my motorized bike, i was wondering if there is any cheap mods that i could do to my engine, so far i have a speed carby, but i bought a 36 tooth sprocket which is not on right now as i need to make adjustments to it, at the moment my max speed is 54km/h (33mph). thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first build.

I'd wait until you get two or three hundred miles on the engine before worrying about performance modifications. It usually takes that long to break an engine in properly and to see how it will run in the stock configuration.

Typically a tuned exhaust (expansion chamber) will give you the most bang for your buck. The 36T sprocket will help too. But get it broken in first and only make one change at a time instead of several at once.

Tom

Beansgotanewbike

Mar 25, 2013
illinois
i have had my bike for bout 4 months now and am still learning about it..i have a quick question for anyone willing to help..i have the stock spark plug still in the motor. i went to change it out, got a #5 n 6 NGkbhs spark plug. i didnt gap it to what bikeberry recommended cause that looked awfully big. started getting hot on the way to work so waited for it to cool n pulled it..looks black like its rich(im runnin 32:1 at moment still) gapped it to .30 ran for 2 days but kinda ragged n it was still getting hot..my question is (keep in mind its all just basic,no perf. parts) what is the RIGHT spark plug and do you gap it and if so, what would anyone recommend.. i appreciate any suggestions and thank you also..starting to get a little frustrated and i really like this bike :-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
24 to 28 is a good ball park gap. 30 is on the wide side but some guys swear by it.

Experimentation will tell you where you need to go but as we always suggest, don't get too excited about performance until your engine has seen 200 to 300 miles. Things will start to change for the better after than. You're right on the money with your oil ratio. No need to change that unless you want to play around with some of the exotics that run 100:1.

I'm a little curious about what you mean by, " getting hot". Hot compared to what? All internal combustion engines will get hot, too hot to touch in most cases. That's normal. The heating problems usually come when an air cooled engine is left to idle without air moving over it. Long extended static conditions can cause an engine to overheat. The Chinese 2 strokes do not have any means to self cool; no fans, no shrouds, only cooling fins that need moving air.

Tom

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here ya go, Kodiac.
I fixed your photo a little so others can see your build better.

It looks like you have plenty of adjustment in the rear dropouts so you might be able to get away with not running that chain tensioner. You'll be happier without it and you won't run the risk of it loosening and getting into your spokes.
Also those knobby tires will give you a rougher ride. You might want to think about going with a smoother tread.

Congratulations on your build. Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited: