throttle question

GoldenMotor.com

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
Today I assembled the throttle.
When I twist it and let it go it doesn't slide back to fully to starting position. I have to give a small twist forward. Is this normal or should it be tightened?
Thanks in advance.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It's not normal. It should spring return to the idle position. You didn't tell us what engine or carburetor you have so more information is hard to give. Nevertheless any throttle should easily return to idle when released. Don't ride the bike until you have found the problem.
The throttle cable should not have any sharp bends or kinks. Start there.

Tom

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
Flying horse 66/80 CC
Stock Carb
No kinks on the cable.
Thanks for clarifying that 2doors.
I found this thread where he was having the same issues as me.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=4663

Another thing is the throttle moves side to side. I did drill a hole in the handle bar so the kill switch is nice and sturdy. What moves side to side is the grip. I put a bicycle grip which is too short, maybe that's why it moves side to side? . I'm planning on getting motorcycle grips soon.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My guess would be that you drilled the hole too close to the end of the handlebar. That is allowing the twist grip to move in and out. The outer end of the grip should be just touching the end of the bar when you measure for where to drill the hole. Give it no more than 1/8" clearance then drill.
However you say you replaced the grip with one from a motorcycle. It might be too long.

As for your carburetor. "stock" doesn't tell me much. CNS? NT? Speed? RT? See? There are several carbs and they all have different throttle mechanisms. Again we need specific information, or a photo would help.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah, getting the hole drilled in exactly the right distance from the end of the bar is a little tricky. Sounds like your hole might be a little to close to the end of the bar. When that happens there's a little side to side play in the handle grip. One way to take up the slack, aside from drilling a new hole, is to try putting a washer in the grip before sliding it on the bar. The washer will take up some of the slop.

The standard carb for a Flying Horse is a NT.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for letting us know.
Like they say, a nickle saved is a nickle earned. And this way, you'll never be completely out of money. There'll always be that 5 cents in your throttle grip. :)

Tom

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
Hahaha for sure . Ill post some pics of my progress later. You guys from the forum have been really helpful everytime that I had a question.