Any 35 cc kits?

GoldenMotor.com

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
I just became aware that Oregon law requires DOT helmet, registration and insurance for MBs over 35 cc if operated on a public road. Does anyone offer a kit featuring an engine of 35 cc or under?

:-||

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Bill

There is 3 Honda 31cc 4 strokes in my collection (not for sale). They are great little engines and can run in may positions, which most 4 strokes can not. Engine Warehouse should have them @ $200 - 250.

Dax has friction kits that they will bolt on to and good prices, use the smallest roller. That would be a very dependable setup that you could count on. The Honda motor could be used in several different combinations.

Ron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Bill

I do have a thread "cvt rack mount, ot something like that" . I figured out how to have a duel right hand freewheel drive. Many members have used it.

I would not recomend the cvt drive, it is an cool set up but does not seem to stand up for most members. Don`t have enough miles on mine for problems.

BMP went out of business, they had the friction drive kit with a jackshaft option and you could get your required gear ratio and run a chain to the left or right side of rear wheel. Also could run a belt or chain on the primary. Would go with a belt anytime possible.

Dax may have the jackshaft option, or you could figure the distance needed and drill two 1 & 3/8 inch holes for the jackshaft bearings with the OD flange or snap ring.

The 5:1 tuff little gear box could also be used (reverse rotation - requires right side drive), not with the friction drive.

An excellent DIY shifter bike could be built with the 5:1 gear box and the Honda 31cc, the gears would really help the little motor.

At my 285 lbs my titan 49cc 4 stroke on my shifter bike pulls thru the gears and amazes me. Of course, I`m amazed everyday when daylite comes!! lol.

My shifter bike has a 34 tooth on the rear wheel cassette. Also have a 5 speed cassete with a 38 tooth large cog. Which would be great for the 31cc, and most likely be needed and the 5 speed is all the motor could handle. You would love the gears with any motor, makes one smile when the motors are kept in their power band .

My last DIY builld is a rear left side axle drive with the 5:1 box and a 49cc 2 stroke which I like pulls a 180 lb rider 35 mph on lever pavement. Starts out with me, a half turn of assit on the pedals in the grass. Am using a left hand threaded wheel with a freewheel so there is no drag when pedaling with motor not running.

Did build a jig for threading left hand threads on standard complete rear wheels with tire on!! whew!

The 31cc Honda has a 76/78mm clutch like most of the popular clutched motors.

Will try to edit in a shifter bike pic for you. The frame you need is a little hard to find.
I drilled the tranny hole wrong and had to drill another one. Was going to make another plate and do some triming, but it works so well, went on to other projects. Just finished my lumber saw mill, that has be evolving in my head for 25 yrs! lol. Am very impressed with "myself"! lol

Now that the weather is cooling off, hoping to spent time on my recently built House Boat for "Battered Fish" with kitchen counter and "AC" of course. Includes a motor bike on board = see my HB thread. Thinking, must have had too much coffee this morning, can`t shut up!! Sorry for the rant.

Ron PS: Will try edit in a pic of the shifter bike, later.

Last edited:

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
wow thats a expensive little bugger but as long as she runs good and makes it legal its worth it but a frame mount is going to get pricy since you are going to need a reduction from ether a jack shaft or preferably a CVT to give you the torque you will want to pull you down the road

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
Rats! I have just enough mechanical skill to change a lightbulb, so I may have to give up on the idea of an motorized bicycle or get the damned thing licensed. WHAT A DRAG!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Bill

35cc would be "gooder" no doubt about that. You will put that motor under your bed every nite for safe keeping. It will be the best money spent.

Now, I`m hoping you build a shifter, you will be riding it when you sign up for Social Security Benifits!! true.

The clamps used in my shifter don`t leave a mark or any damage to the frame.

Need to resize the pics to to send.

Ron

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
Good info guys. Ron, dude, you built a sawmill?
Well, these smaller kits are both expensive and usually don't mount in the frame. If I can't get that look I'm not sure it is worth it.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
they are great kits from what i can tell and if you are going to get quite a few years of enjoyment out of the little buzzer without much headaches i think its worth it. i dont care about legal myself so i run a 66cc flying horse they make a 49cc frame mount also thats closer to being legal for you and what cop is going to pull your head to check the bore/ stroke personally i think none so i just will lie and tell them that mine is all the legal stats or just below

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Bill

Sent you a pm.

Bill, Because you asked and this is your thread will explain the mill a tad. And there is a lot of Timber in Oregon.

My saw mill uses a chainsaw, runs on a 20 ft angle iron track. Can be taken apart in 5 minutes and hauled in a car trunk, except for the track of course.

They brought the three 20 foot x 3.5"x2.5"x 1/4" thick angle irons yesterday delivered for $220 , friends, cut me a deal. They cut all the steel for the saw carraige previously.

Had a tree service for over 30 yrs, paid to dump tons of nice logs at landfills. Never had time to saw lumber then, but always hated to see beautiful logs wasted.

When sawing trees yrs ago, some dummy told me my chain was dull. I quickly told him: I know the chain is dull and needs sharpen badly, but I am too busy sawing right now and don`t have time to sharpen it!!

So my mill design has been evolving for 30 yrs, have watched every commercial and diy vid on you tube, also request dealer dvd`s.

Can use shorter bars, like a 24 inch bar and clamp the log on the saw motor side of track, no proplem.

Would be able to use a 5 foot bar for slabbing large stumps for table tops ect. Or carry it Downunder to mill some of their monster logs into lumber. ha ha

Because it has friction locks, it is adjusted for any width track/bed/trailer. My track will be bolted together so it coud be partially unbolted ect for sitting over a stump or whatever without moving the item to be milled if it is too heavy.

Have to say: This is the most versitile, solid mill that I know of at this time, DIY or commercial. Very affordable and maybe desired by many in this awful economy.

A mill can be purchased that can cut 5 foot slabs, it uses an optional (add on) chain saw bar and chain (maybe tree harvester bar and chain) to do the wide cuts = costs over $10,000.

Thinking of offering plans or kits. Because it comes apart and goes back together in minutes could be shipped for more reasonable cost. Maybe a hardware kit with the smaller items to make it very easy for the buyer. Can`t give away the details, but the components/parts that are used make it fun and easy to build and pro looking. There is no difficult measuring ect involved. A square has to be used on 4 welds. Don`t have to have any fancy measuring to so.

When you have all the pictures of parts rattling around in your head it`s like putting a puzzle together and some of them fall into place so neatly.

Maybe should ask if a mod could move this to the Tavern, sure got of track, its the coffee!!

Do think most of us members like to build things. Wood has been such a big thing in our lives for 100`s of yrs, 1,000s of yrs. Adam mite have had a woody. I read that Eve was the first carpenter.

Ron