hi everone

GoldenMotor.com

motorbob

Apr 6, 2012
florida
iam realy axcited to start building, i have a 26 inch mountain bike, no suspension, would i be beter of with a mopend looking motor that goes inside the frame (2 stroke) chain driven or a weed eater type motor that goes on top of the back tire, if friction is friction type any beter or does it wear the tire out

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. If I may suggest, do some reading by using the Google Custom Search feature. Just type in a word/s 'friction drive' and you'll be rewarded with plenty to read on the subject from those who have installed it. Same for any question that you might have. If you can't find what you're looking for come back and ask. We're always here to help.
As far as a comparison between the two types of drives you'll get responses from both sides. Those who run chain drive swear by it and the friction drive folks are loyal to that method. You'll need to research and make a decision for yourself. There are many variables that you'll need to consider. Good luck.
Tom

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Welcome aboard. As for inframe chain and rack mounted friction drives, there are good and bad things about each. Well, i wouldnt say bad, but there are trade offs, eather way Im sure you will love your new motorbike.

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
Welcome!

I have a mountain bike without suspension too. I started off with the in frame GC 2-stroke, and now I'm running a 4-stroke friction drive.

I like the 4-stroke a LOT better! It's more reliable, and less hassle than the 2-stroke.

One thing about the in frame engines, they make the bike look a lot more like a motorcycle, which can definitely be a cop magnet! An engine on the back wheel doesn't draw the same kind of attention.

Maybe something to consider if there is any legal problems in your area.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Welcome aboard ;-}

MY thoughts are simple, that's what we do here as mentioned above.

I have nothing against 'tire rubbers' other than their center of gravity vs motor power to weight ratio.

Those little 'chain saw' type 34cc motors can move you along OK if you pedal to help some, and maybe your stock bikes kickstand can even hold it up and you won't ever lean a bit to far to the side and bite it, but if you want more power for hills and speed you need a bigger heaver motor and you don't want to mount a motor that size that far above the center of gravity unless you have athlete type strength and reflex's in my experience.

I say that because I have NO athlete anything anymore but rode my friends little rack mounted hub rubber. It was plenty light and not heavy enough for me not to fall over if I didn't pay attention, but it was so gutless I was darn near yawning just riding around the block.

It's all about your intended use and everyone's is different.
For me it's little short trips for parts and stuff, we have a car for longer trips and cargo and I work from home.

I do however absolutely love the the high power high speed adrenalin rush I get from my personal ride which is high power low center of gravity cavity mount and gears.

Ya, my body may be getting weak but I'm no pussy ya know? heheheheh ;-}

My point is detail what you want to use it for, the kind of bike YOU like riding, and your stature plays a big part.
The more info you give the better the advice, and that holds true with everything.

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I agree with KC about the friction drive power. It's pretty slow, but this bike is one that I pedal a lot anyway. The engine is just an assist.

I am planning to do a Predator 99 or 212 for the next build. I'm already getting the parts together. Having something with more power is fun too! :)