Hi all. I suspect i'll be getting to know ya'll

GoldenMotor.com

BlackBeacher

Oct 30, 2011
Phoenix
From Arizona, Phoenix. First time bike builder. I've thought about doing this for a while now I'm just so close to being done and running; it's killing me!!! So obviously I turn to the internet for help, and I've been on this site a couple times before; I just need some help now. I can't find any answers.

Ok I'm young, not too dumb, and new to any engine parts so I'm learning. but I suspect I'm having trouble with either my carburetor or ignition. As i turn the engine with the pedals after engaging the clutch, the engine is turning and sputters, but fails to run the engine which then stops me from moving...

Tonight is my first night with gas in it and trying it, maybe I'm just being impatient and should try it a few more times, but any help would be fantastic. PLEASE. Thanks guys.

I just want to look like this guy.....brnot

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
First of all, welcome to the forum (^) You haven't stated what engine you're using but if it's a 2-stroke, make sure you add oil to your gasoline (in the proper ratio) or the engine will fry. You don't want that. Explain your symtoms a bit more (and the engine you're using) and the answers will follow.

Good luck, be patient and have fun with your bike!

dnut

From Arizona, Phoenix. First time bike builder. I've thought about doing this for a while now I'm just so close to being done and running; it's killing me!!! So obviously I turn to the internet for help, and I've been on this site a couple times before; I just need some help now. I can't find any answers.

Ok I'm young, not too dumb, and new to any engine parts so I'm learning. but I suspect I'm having trouble with either my carburetor or ignition. As i turn the engine with the pedals after engaging the clutch, the engine is turning and sputters, but fails to run the engine which then stops me from moving...

Tonight is my first night with gas in it and trying it, maybe I'm just being impatient and should try it a few more times, but any help would be fantastic. PLEASE. Thanks guys.

I just want to look like this guy.....brnot

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum and as the man said, you'll need to provide a little more information before we can help you.
What engine?
What have you checked and how?
Is it wired correctly?
Getting fuel to the carburetor from the tank?

Help us and we'll help you.
Tom

BlackBeacher

Oct 30, 2011
Phoenix
Wow thanks guys for all the welcomes.
Well I'll try to explain a bit better and run through what I have done and answer your questions first off.. so
It's a Grubee Skyhawk 66cc 2-stroke.
I have the proper mixture gas/oil.
I know it's wired correctly for the most part but... Well...
I believe you are supposed to take the brass cap off the spark plug exposing the thread? maybe this is incorrect, but my dad told me this so I did it.
Also the silver "staple like pin" inside the black cap which sits loosely on top of the spark plug; Should that be taken out? or should that be snapped over the brass cap of the spark pug?
I don't know If I have spark, and I don't know a good way to check that?
I'm also not sure how to check if gas is getting to the engine from the carburetor?
Also I'm not sure, but Should I post this under another section of the forum?
I have pedaled the engine pretty hard but all there is is turning of the engine. i have done this with the engine throttle all the way out and in with the throttle pulled and not pulled with cap on and cap off with the gas on always.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the forum.

First off, replace your plug boot with a decent one from NAPA, it'll only cost a few bucks and takes a few minutes. The stock plug boot is junk, it'll probably fall off or die (self destruct) in shame before long anyway. You can use the end of a premade ignotion wire too, check the forums here on ways to do it.

The rest I'll have to leave for someone more skilled than I am to diagnose.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow thanks guys for all the welcomes.
Well I'll try to explain a bit better and run through what I have done and answer your questions first off.. so
It's a Grubee Skyhawk 66cc 2-stroke.
I have the proper mixture gas/oil.
I know it's wired correctly for the most part but... Well...

Welcome aboard, BB.
Alf did a write-up on things to do before running your mab. It's excellent, and you should look it up...
First thing that comes to mind, in your order of things, is you should disconnect the kill switch... they frequently are the cause of problems.

I believe you are supposed to take the brass cap off the spark plug exposing the thread? maybe this is incorrect, but my dad told me this so I did it.
Also the silver "staple like pin" inside the black cap which sits loosely on top of the spark plug; Should that be taken out? or should that be snapped over the brass cap of the spark pug?
I don't know If I have spark, and I don't know a good way to check that?

Pull the plug, then ground it against the cylinder head while a helper spins the back tire... look for the plug to spark. it will, or not.
Either way, get an NGKB6HS and life will be better for you and your new china girl. :)
If no spark, it could also be a defective plug wire, as said earlier.

I'm also not sure how to check if gas is getting to the engine from the carburetor?

Take off the air cleaner, at least until you get the engine to start, once...
With the choke on, after pedaling a bit, you should have at least some amount of gas drip out the carb, if it's getting fuel...

And I got ahead of myself, above... since it hasn't fired for you, when you pull the plug, it should be wet with fuel. If it is, the fuel prob is more or less resolved and you can look for spark solutions.
...if the sparkplug is wet with fuel, and it might be flooded, leave the plug out, turn off the gas, and pedal it for 100ft or so to clear the cylinder of raw fuel. NOT too much, because the fuel carries your lubrication!!!

Also I'm not sure, but Should I post this under another section of the forum?
I have pedaled the engine pretty hard but all there is is turning of the engine. i have done this with the engine throttle all the way out and in with the throttle pulled and not pulled with cap on and cap off with the gas on always.

Good luck
rc

BlackBeacher

Oct 30, 2011
Phoenix
ALRIGHT!! WOOHOO. dance1 oh yeah you know what that means. no newbie no more ha. Well maybe I am ...
Well I got it running finally just had to do some tweaking here and there with the throttle and spark plug and thanks to you guys I knew my spark was sparking and my gas was good I just ran the procedures how you said rc thank you very much for your help.
But.... Ok there is always a BUT, nothing ever is perfect with these things as I have come quickly to find out.
So I was cruizing along and on my way back to the house cause I didn't want her, my little china girl as I guess you guys call them haha, well I didn't want to over do her right away and well the chain broke, leading to a happy but irritated me. another master link should get her in place but any suggestions on the 415 chain vs. the standard chain, which mine has?
Also there is something wrong with the back tire now. Every full rotation there is a large CLUNK' like it is out of balance or something I hope someone recognizes this and can help me out with this I'm really not sure what the heck is wrong. It is just riding and then clunk it hits my fender. every rotation.
I was so happy riding her around my neighborhood just now everyone was looking at me. like wow! lol it was so great.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
Yeah, it's great riding these motorized bikes. I think it's better than a motorcycle.
Anyways, it is odd to me your chain broke. Did the master link fall out, or did the chain truly break? As far as the clunk sound, did it happen after your chain was broken and you were pedaling. Was the chain breaking a violent event?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
sounds like you either bent the rim, dislodged the tire on the rim, or both, when the chain came off, OR, ker-chunked it so that a bearing or the race in the wheel is now bad.
Shouldn't be too expensive a fix.
Good luck
rc

BlackBeacher

Oct 30, 2011
Phoenix
Ok, I see. I found the problem, it was that when mounting the rear wheel sprocket; the bolts that go through that rotate with the sprocket, a couple of them were protruding far enough out that they were rubbing on the frame each rotation. This was not a problem before the chain fell off though but it's all aligned now, and I started her back up after buying a couple more master links.
The chain wasn't too violent of breaking. It just kinda broke at the Master link, yes leadfarmer. It's weird that that would happen but I bought a couple different kinds just in case and put the most sturdy looking one on there so hopefully that should work.
Also again any suggestions on the 415 "more sturdy" chain??
And yes they are so fun leadFarmer I'm convincing a bunch of my buddy's to buy some engine kits so I can help them build they're own!

crazymike

May 17, 2011
TN
Also again any suggestions on the 415 "more sturdy" chain?
After much reading of suggestions on the forum I replaced my 415 chain with a #41 roller chain from Tractor Supply Co. (locally bought it for $16.99 (comes with 1 master link)) and it is way more heavy duty than the 415. I removed links by:

1. Grind down the pins flat with the chain surface with a dremel tool

2. Drill a hole in a block of wood to sit the chain on

3. Use a hammer and punch (or a small screwdriver in a pinch) to drive the pin into the hole in your wood.

Hope that helps!

.wee.