Some help with centrifugal clutch install

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Ok, the clutch came in today. Unfortunatly I wasn't able to get any work done because my standard clutch started slipping. Ill have to fix that first, then move on to installing this one.

And just to be safe then sorry, id rather spend some time making a notch in the clutch and securing it with a key. Because if it slips and shreds the shaft, and I would have to replace that, that would be too much.

Last edited:

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I too just recently bought a centrifuge clutch and my first attempt to install I ran into few snags. After I grind the 3 clutch stud, it still rubs on the cover, so I had to order 2 clutch cover gasket for clearance. I also ordered rotary diamond bits to cut a notch on the new clutch and planning on using the old woodruff key. The other issue I had was my crank pedal was hitting the new clutch cover. I was told that I can bend the crank by using a long metal pipe. I put all of the original parts together and waiting for the gaskets to arrive before I make a 2nd attempt on installing the new clutch. I'll keep you updated and let me know how your installation went.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Wow your in a very similar situation as me. Do you mind taking some pictures of the notch you cut into the clutch? I'm having the clearance issue as well.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I haven't cut it yet, my rotary bits just came and I'm still waiting on my gasket before I cut the notch. Is your crank pedal hitting the new clutch? I'll try and take some pics and report back.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Oh ok. Yeah please let me know whats happening with your install, and ill post up on what's happening with mine. I'm having the pedal crank clearance issues as well. Hoping to just "kick start" it and ride around without having to pedal. I have no idea how to bend these mountain bike cranks. Maybe Ill just get a wide crank kit from SBP idk yet. Im going to cut down the 3 clutch pins today, and check clearance for that. Where did you get the extra gaskets?

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
It might not work for you, but when I needed a little extra clearance on one crank on one build I solved it by putting a grinding wheel in the chuck of the drill and taking a little off the back of the crank (with a helper holding things steady on the other side).

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Update: Didn't get any work done on the clutch itself, had lot's of other things to do today. When I get some time this week, maybe an hour tomorrow Ill be able to cut down those pins and check if I need those gaskets.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I cut down those 3 pins leaving just a tad sticking out, it still barely rub against the new clutch cover. Make sure you leave a little sticking out, then use 2 more gaskets for clearance. I'll keep you updated when I receive my gaskets and do the install.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
So I was looking at the parts that came with my kit, and noticed all of the bolts are of different sizes. And what are they for exactly?

One of the bolts is bigger than the rest, and half of it is completely stripped. Im guessing this is on purpose? And in the centrifugal clutch, whats the threaded part for?

Attachments

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
One of the long bolts will thread into the hole on the crankshaft. This is the mounting bolt. Use the washer with that bolt. I always add a lockwasher between the bolt head and washer, but they don't include one with the kit.

The other long bolt (with missing threads) that threads into the clutch itself is the removal tool. When you want to remove the clutch, you remove the mounting bolt and thread this one into the clutch and the end will press against the crankshaft end the clutch will pop off.

The short stubby M8 bolt is used in the large clutch cover, there's a threaded hole there that looks like an oil drain hole (there is a version of this clutch that is wet, and that in fact IS the oil fill/drain hole, only sold by grubby Grubee garbage).

The other bolts look like floor sweepings, you just need four M6 X 1.0 machine screws to mount the small cover.

Two of the five screws removed from the old clutch cover need to be shortened to go into the two holes next to the crankshaft in the new large clutch cover.

Last edited:

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Oh ok gotcha. Finally on thursday I will have free time to work on the bike, and I'll be able to check fitting, and maybe make the notch in the clutch for the key. I still don't really get how thats all going to fit.

Question about the gear puller tool. When I screw it in, it gets to a point where I can't screw the large pieces in anymore by hand. Should I get a larger wrench and screw it in all the way until you can't see the threads anymore?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The gear puller will screw in about 3 turns, then it is getting close to bottoming out in the gear. At that point, forcing any more turns could strip the threads.

Put some grease on the threads and screw it in and out of the gear by hand several times, you will find the it will screw in further and further, and then no further. Stop at this point and screw in the inner piece and use a wrench to turn the inner piece and the gear will pop off.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Should I use a wrench to hold the bigger pieces in place while screwing in the smaller piece, so it doesn't turn with it?

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Ok. And screwing in the small piece should be hard right? Last time I tried to do it, there was lots of resistance, so I stopped because I was worried that I was doing something wrong.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
It should get hard when the bottom of the inner screw hits the shaft and begins to push on it as you turn the head of the screw.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
No I am still waiting for my gasket to come before I start installing and cutting. Did you cut it yet? I'm sure it's not difficult, just cut the same size as the notch on the small gear.