introducing the bairdco prototype cruiser.

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
got the bike running today with the stock tank, just to ride it.

the entire motor install took me about 5 hours. most of that was messing with the chain.

to make the Fat Franks fit better, i mounted the kit sprocket in this order: sprocket, backing plates, rubber donut, spokes, rubber donut, backing plates. basically, i put another set of plates in between the sprocket and the donut to space the sprocket out more. the chain still rubs, but no more than a normal tire would. but it's gonna leave those greasy saw-blade streaks all over the cream tire.

i don't think i'll be using them in the future. they're not really my style. but it's what the buyer wants.

i built this bike in the basic kit form for a coupla reasons. one, the buyer bought the kit and doesn't care about extras like sprocket adapters. two, i wanted to build a base model, entry level bike to see how it looks and to see how easy it is.

and it really is easy. no major mods had to be done, and it's pretty much a bolt on bike.

it rides really smooth, really solid, and really comfortable.

i'm gonna be building the tank next week and waiting on a different seat, then it's just a matter of fine tuning and detailing.

company news, i talked to "the company" today, and they're starting a new, seperate division for motorized bikes. the boss is supposed to get in touch with me monday. hopefully it's good news.

here's some lousy pics of the bike in the dark:

Attachments

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
Thats a Dog? I thought they were the same bike as the 9 to 5 bike.

Adam

The sporty Dog is a china made frame, The not too fat but not skinny Dog is made Mexico?
Not sure.

Adam

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bairdco,
The more I look at your frame the more I like it. Having more room for the motor is a real plus and it looks like the space for the gas tank should yield a good amount of fuel storage. I think it has that nice early motorcycle look, not necessarily board tracker, but that. too, I guess. I'm personally more attached to the early motorcycles for road use than I am the lay down low, no brakes, **** bent for speed board track racers. I like old motorcycles and this frame lends itself to that kind of fabrication. Same reason I so much like the old Schwinn straight bar frames. For that matter, your Colsons, some of the Elgins, lots of the old timers. The cantilever frame is nice in its own way and gives more engine room, but doesn't have that old time motorbike look. This does. I can see one of those in my future... I wonder if an HS motor could get squeezed in there. Probably not, but some time when the dust settles I'd like to get some measurements from you. I like my Motorbike with the HS engine so much I can see doing more of them. In fact I'm doing one for a friend this winter. Finding an old Panther frame is not always easy, and if yours will work it would be good to start out with a bare frame in perfect condition ready for paint. That would be cool. I like it, Baird. I want to see you making a living at this. It is inspiration for all us little guys who want to find our nitch. I'm rootin' for ya bud!
SB

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
I think it's great to see you venturing into different makes. That bike was actually mentioned in a thread back in April. No I won't spoil it.

I'm anxious to see if the Fat Franks work out for you. I really like the truss forks.
More research say's you WIN. It's a ^rro% &as* frame.

Adam

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
Silverbear, i didn't even think about posting the dimensions. i'll do that later today.

there is pretty much room in the frame, as long as everything is organized correctly.;).

and as for the tank, the ones i build for my colsons are 5" wide. if i built one that wide for this bike it'd hold 10 gallons. give or take...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
rode it around yesterday, probably about 20 miles. kinda weird having a big stock sprocket on. most of my bikes are built for speed. this thing cruises like a dream, though. solid, stable, yet responsive and a heck of a lot of fun!

here's some daytime pictures. this is basically what you'd get if you installed the entire kit on the bike.

but jeez, that tank's gotta go...

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
rode it around yesterday, probably about 20 miles. kinda weird having a big stock sprocket on. most of my bikes are built for speed. this thing cruises like a dream, though. solid, stable, yet responsive and a heck of a lot of fun!

here's some daytime pictures. this is basically what you'd get if you installed the entire kit on the bike.

but jeez, that tank's gotta go...
Looks good. If you get another customer who wants the cream colored tires, the ones from Electra are a better fit, being 2.125. They aren't so cushy, but look really good without the writing on them and give better clearance on a HT build. When I recently did my Motorbike with the HS motor I got away with Fat Franks not interfering with the chain due to the fact that you can adjust a four stroke a bit one way or the other side to side, so I was able to push the chain out a bit from the tire, but then needed to use a tensioner to get it above the chain stay. I like the ride of the fatty, but they are a pain on most builds. The Electras from Amazon have free shipping and come to a little over sixty bucks. He could probably sell these on the forum and be happier with something a little narrower. Bike looks good and your tank will take it over the top.
SB

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
the fat franks are cool, but they are just a bit too wide. the way i've got it set up, the chain's not grinding away at the tire, but like almost all 2 strokes, it slaps at it, making that nice grease streak.

i rode it down to the beach yesterday, and was hanging out with my buddy, he's the guy that bought it. he didn't care about the grease at all, so i'm not worried.

i'm not a fan of the creme coloured tires, anyway. i mean, they look good on some builds, but i like the basic black look. i'll be putting the tires i always ride on the next one, the Kenda Kiniption 26x2.3's. i have no probs with chain rub on my other bikes.

i called the company today, and now i'm waiting on prices. that's basically the "make it or break it" part. i'll let you know...

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Bairdco,
That looks like a nice solid platform. Looks to be a brazed frame like the old Schwinns, but hard to tell for sure from the pictures. A three bar or straightbar frame as they are called is perfect for a gas tank. If the tank area seems too big just put a bigger sticker on the side of the tank! The "Bairdco Special" name would need lots of room to fit!

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
they use silicon bronze to join the tubes, then shot peen the bike for stress relief. supposed to be 3 times stronger than brazing with brass.

i'm still waiting on prices. as i get down to the actual process of purchasing, it's getting farther and farther away from the original quote. much farther, in fact. i ain't too happy about it.

riff44raff

Nov 4, 2010
staton ca
hay i live in staton and am looking to buy a grubee 2010 motor kit !! i am new to this and not to good on a laptop eather so any help would be apperated !

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
this bike's done.

really simple build, nothing fancy.

i kept the tank simple as well, except for the fancy filler neck metalwork. i'm making a "bairdco" copper insert for the center of the cap.

it's only 2.5" wide, but with all that room in the frame it holds a little over a gallon, so it won't run outta gas anytime soon.

it has a Sturmey Archer X-FDD 70mm drum brake/dynohub on the front, and the little bullet taillight and the front rocketship light are both wired into it.

the wiring's hidden as much as possible. it's epoxied into the backside of the fender struts and under the fender, then runs under the tank, so the only part you see is at the back fender stay and at the headtube.(picture 3 shows the fender strut.)

it also has personalized tires for my buddy randy, who owns it.

as far as this being the "bairdco prototype," it's actually a Western Flyer re-pop, made by Aero-fast/Emory. it's the same frame as their standard cruisers.

and the bad news is the original price i was quoted went up 400% when i was ready to buy, so i doubt i'll be having any more dealings with this company.

that's all i want to say about that.

there's some good, potentially great, news on the horizon for bairdco industries, but i ain't sayin' a thing about it until it's a reality.

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Looks very nice. I notice you're using the rag joint and stock sprocket. I assume you have found that to be dependable for you.

I'm starting to think I may try that on my freinds bike just to see how well it works.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bairdco,
Your bike looks great. The tank is perfect and I like that you did the rear fender 'short', eliminating the need to butcher it up for chain clearance. I'm glad to hear you have something else cooking.
bikenut,
I think the rag joint is a problem mostly for when you're new to all this. Once you've done a few you start getting better at it, realizing how critical it is to get things centered and true. I find that it helps me if I mount the rear wheel on the bike turned upside down and slowly tighten up the hardware a little at a time, spinning the wheel to see how things look, tighten it here, spin it, tighten some more. If you're careful and take your time you can do a nice job of it. The adapter and sprocket from Creative engineering makes a tedious job quick, easy and foolproof, but is also another cost to add in to all the others on a build. Sometimes you just can't afford everything you'd like.
SB